Why the mask threads generate so much heat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 24, 2011
One of the girls mentioned in the article (Lindsay Efflandt) is from around here. I watched her pitch several times in travel ball and high school. Also coached against her once in a game. She was by far the most dominant pitcher in the area. When she was in 12U, I clocked her throwing 60 mph+ with a Jugs gun. Not every pitch, but she could do it when she'd just cut loose.

When she took that ball to the face (ironically of the bat of probably her closest pitching rival in the area and a summer teammate) it was a huge deal here. Her HS team went from contenders to also-rans in no time. She came back toward the end of the season but she wasn't the same. Hopefully she's doing better now.

This was a kid who racked up a lot of Ks and didn't give up many hits. You wouldn't think she'd be in that much danger. But all it takes is one well-hit ball, even by chance.

I used to be anti-mask too. Didn't see the need, and neither of my daughters ever wore one. The older one played pre-mask era, and the younger one had no interest in one. Today I'm glad they're both past playing age so I don't have to worry whether they're making the right decision.

I used to be anti-mask as well. I've just witnessed too many girls get hit, or even almost hit, that I would never tell a girl that she couldn't wear a mask.

As for the quotes, I didn't do the survey, although I believe they are real. I got into a Twitter engagement with a DI assistant last season who said that her coach (recently let go at one of the Tennessee directional schools) did not believe in masks and they wouldn't recruit a girl who wears one.

I don't get the thinking but I think the 70/30 don't mind/against ratio is probably about right.

Aug 24, 2011
Why wouldn't they if they had conviction in their position? This seems more and more like a fastpitch urban legend.

I'd have to go back and watch the video but I remember UF coach Tim Walton really dodge the question at last year's CWS. The other coaches said they didn't mind. From what I remember, he worked around the question rather well.

Nov 18, 2013
THere was a TV announcer a couple years ago who made statements against the masks and took some heat for it. I can't remember who it was though.

Here's an article by a Georgetown Asst Coach and her view of the masks. She has interesting arguments against their usage.

Protect Your Daughter By Playing Catch - MaxPreps

I found a youtube video of Jenny Finch giving a very diplomatic answer about the masks. Basicly she's saying the masks are fine, but training kids to be prepared is still the best way to keep them safe.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxNXlUNpGY0

On a sidenote, DD was hit in the back of the head last week between innings during the throwdown to second. It ended her day and she had a nice bump, but otherwise she was fine. If only she had her mask on backwards this wouldn't have happened.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I'd have to go back and watch the video but I remember UF coach Tim Walton really dodge the question at last year's CWS. The other coaches said they didn't mind. From what I remember, he worked around the question rather well.

Yet he had no problem waiting on a vacillating Kelly Barnhill. I understand a coach, especially a high profile one not wanting to get involved as their comments are sure to be taken out of context.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Well, we've had LAS explain that she doesn't like players with masks, and mention her organization is against it. More than an urban legend...

Case in point: I mean it sincerely when I say you are a very well read and informed guy but all you came up with is the opinion of an anonymous 14U coach? There has to be more out there if this is thing has any legs whatsoever. In the words of the late, great Clara Peller "WHERE'S THE BEEF?"

https://video.search.yahoo.com/vide...5&sigb=13bgbp3fv&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-005

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
OOOOHHH, Riseball is resorting to POLITENESS and being NICE and RESPECTFUL!

Well, TWO can play THAT game!

Hey riseball, you absolutely know far, far more about softball than I am, and are clearly an intelligent person. And, your DD can probably outplay mine.

However, there are at least two cases of coaches who have publicly criticized masks. One was mentioned in that article posted earlier, another is Stacey Nuveman, San Diego State University assistant softball coach.

OK, both are ASSISTANT coaches rather than HEAD coaches.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
One of the girls mentioned in the article (Lindsay Efflandt) is from around here. I watched her pitch several times in travel ball and high school. Also coached against her once in a game. She was by far the most dominant pitcher in the area. When she was in 12U, I clocked her throwing 60 mph+ with a Jugs gun. Not every pitch, but she could do it when she'd just cut loose.

When she took that ball to the face (ironically of the bat of probably her closest pitching rival in the area and a summer teammate) it was a huge deal here. Her HS team went from contenders to also-rans in no time. She came back toward the end of the season but she wasn't the same. Hopefully she's doing better now.

This was a kid who racked up a lot of Ks and didn't give up many hits. You wouldn't think she'd be in that much danger. But all it takes is one well-hit ball, even by chance.

I used to be anti-mask too. Didn't see the need, and neither of my daughters ever wore one. The older one played pre-mask era, and the younger one had no interest in one. Today I'm glad they're both past playing age so I don't have to worry whether they're making the right decision.

I found this article about it:

Efflandt doing OK, but no doubt she'll return with a mask - DailyHerald.com

It mentions the ump was from Crystal Lake. My son raced in some rowing regattas in Crystal Lake. Although I doubt many people play softball IN the lake...

Interesting coincidence, there was a LOT of grumbling about last year's Crystal Lake regatta, how the organizers didn't really seem to take safety into consideration. They finally cancelled the race when the rescue boat capsized, while trying to rescue some girls whose boat was sinking. The girls had to make it back to the dock on their own after that. If only they had been wearing face masks ... oh, wait.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
OOOOHHH, Riseball is resorting to POLITENESS and being NICE and RESPECTFUL!

Well, TWO can play THAT game!

Hey riseball, you absolutely know far, far more about softball than I am, and are clearly an intelligent person. And, your DD can probably outplay mine.

However, there are at least two cases of coaches who have publicly criticized masks. One was mentioned in that article posted earlier, another is Stacey Nuveman, San Diego State University assistant softball coach.

OK, both are ASSISTANT coaches rather than HEAD coaches.

If you DD can hit she is one up on mine. :) I have heard about the comments by Nuveman for quite some time. Have to wonder if her position has "evolved" since then. Now that masks are becoming common place even in the SEC I have to think that there is a significant shift in opinion underway.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
If you DD can hit she is one up on mine. :) I have heard about the comments by Nuveman for quite some time. Have to wonder if her position has "evolved" since then. Now that masks are becoming common place even in the SEC I have to think that there is a significant shift in opinion underway.

I hope you are right.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keatonskidmore