Why missing to right consistently

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
The arm circle, mainly. It is too far behind and has to clear the body which drives the pitch to the right.

Now, how to correct it. From the start, try having her hands start to the side and launch forward with no windup (she is driving left, throwing right). Practice driving forward, not to the the left. Practice a flatter arm circle. Toes should point to the right as she is doing. Ball up at 9:00.

2021-04-09 15_59_47-Greenshot.png

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
It could be her arm circle. I see that there is a stripe on the ball. If it's coming out with top spin then it is the circle. It also looks like her hip is getting tin he way, staying back and open might help. If the ball has bullet spin her hand might be contributing by being too open.

Nov 8, 2018
When the right shoulder gets ahead of the hip the arm straightens and pushes the ball right. Have her keep the shoulder back and you should see a big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I believe the arm circle is late. I’d challenge her to stay in the glove during the drive. Don’t break in the back swing. Have her exaggerate and keep the ball in the glove to about chest or even head high before the break to finish the arm circle. This will help keep the arm from lagging while the rest of the body moves forward.

This with some focus on posture could help the shoulder part as well.

Edit: Does her shoulder get sore at all after practice/pitching? This is often another tell that the arm is late because she’s having to muscle it around to try and catch up.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
Why is she missing to the right, most always the right and how does she correct it?

Bear, I almost never do video analysis on the public forum but, this one is pretty quick an easy. Make sure she gets her body turned more, hiding the back shoulder from the catcher, similar to how a baseball pitcher turns sideways. Exaggerate her turn. Exaggerate her inside forearm brushing past her bellybutton. There should be NO daylight between her arm and body. She'll have to go slow until the muscle memory is established but, once she touches arm to stomach, the ball will go straight immediately.

Apr 28, 2018
Bear, I almost never do video analysis on the public forum but, this one is pretty quick an easy. Make sure she gets her body turned more, hiding the back shoulder from the catcher, similar to how a baseball pitcher turns sideways. Exaggerate her turn. Exaggerate her inside forearm brushing past her bellybutton. There should be NO daylight between her arm and body. She'll have to go slow until the muscle memory is established but, once she touches arm to stomach, the ball will go straight immediately.
Pitching 101 -"I didn't touch my stomach" Thanks Bill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2