Why is the deciding WCWS championship game at 3pm???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2015
I think it's reasonable response from ESPN, actually. They want to keep it on the main network because more households have the main network and being on the main network is more prestigious. Bumping it to 2 or New or U would take away a lot of people's chance to watch.

And the NBA draws a lot more eyes and ESPN paid a lot more for the contract. I much prefer softball, but I think we're in the minority about that.

I'd rather the game not be on at 1 MST, but I'd rather it be on ESPN than one of the feeders.

this

and I am guessing contracts come into play - the NCAA contract may SAY the game is on ESPN, that's what they sold advertising on - there's a lot of factors at play here

Jun 8, 2016
Unless they are really crappy at their jobs, they obviously feel that the other sports they are putting on in the later time slots will make them more money.. 🤷‍♂️. Also they cannot move NBA game times...It is a business..

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I get the frustration here, but the only window I have to watch a softball game (that's not my own) today is 2-4 pm central time sooooo.... good job on this one, ESPN!

Jun 11, 2013
Just record the game and watch it when you want. It's really easy to not find out the score. On the ESPN app getting softball scores requires you to go down to 2 "other sport" lists. Sadly it's even lower than the 100 soccer leagues they post scores for.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Just record the game and watch it when you want.

It's really easy to not find out the score. On the ESPN app getting softball scores requires you to go down to 2 "other sport" lists. Sadly it's even lower than the 100 soccer leagues they post scores for.
Attendance aside.
Completely agree!
3pm seems very reasonable.

Why then actually play the game at a strange howling at the moon midnight?
Which didnt know until reading this post.
🙈🙊🙉

Apr 1, 2017
I get the frustration here, but the only window I have to watch a softball game (that's not my own) today is 2-4 pm central time sooooo.... good job on this one, ESPN!
Completely selfish for me too. Championship game from 2pm. Daughters high school plays sectional game at 4:30 (they were JV, so watching, not playing), travel team game at 7:45

Dec 6, 2019
There is definitely a lack of effective leadership when it comes to NCAA Softball. The D2 and D3 NCAA championships actually overlapped each other. That was insane.

Mar 28, 2014
OK this is an "if necessary game". There was a good chance that it would never be played. ESPN is not going to block off 3 hours of prime time for a game that may not occur. Schedules are made well in advance so there was no way around this for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad