Why is the deciding WCWS championship game at 3pm???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Can't wait to hear this justification from the NCAA. You would think ESPN would want the game available to broadcast at 7pm like the other games.

You have a great game that rates well and you decide to play it when people will find it hard to watch it. Especially the more casual fan who only watches the tournament. It makes zero sense.

Same goes for the FSU game they decided should be played starting at midnight and finished after 3am. I am sure there were a lot of people in Florida who wanted to watch that game but couldn't.

Apr 1, 2017
Haven't checked the schedules, but like everything in the world, my guess is $$$. When the schedule got pushed back a day, the softball game is probably now conflicting with already scheduled MLB/NBA games on ESPN

edit.... I see I type too slow

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
ESPN has NBA (fair enough)
ESPN2 is showing the NCAA Track Meet (day 2)
ESPNU has some Lacrosse
EspnNews has the normal garbage

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Amazing what being on t.v. can do :rolleyes:

Maybe the wcws contract with espn needs a
Paragraph about
The players not being cattle.
Still being students.
And
Maybe some elbow shoving be Lisa Fernandez :)
( because she does/can deffend our game)
For a more appropriate time slot commitment by espn.

Somethings obviously more important than others...
But starting a game at midnight just to be live on t.v.

Come on softball have some dignity and keep a healthier perspective for the players.
People. Viewers will still watch a game televised later
....rather than LATE NIGHT.
aka espn will still get viewers and not at the living expense of humans. That could actually affect performance.

Or atleast quality of performance.

Feb 20, 2020
I think it's reasonable response from ESPN, actually. They want to keep it on the main network because more households have the main network and being on the main network is more prestigious. Bumping it to 2 or New or U would take away a lot of people's chance to watch.

And the NBA draws a lot more eyes and ESPN paid a lot more for the contract. I much prefer softball, but I think we're in the minority about that.

I'd rather the game not be on at 1 MST, but I'd rather it be on ESPN than one of the feeders.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478