Why are we playing on Friday?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
that's odd. What tournament is it?

Also, they are likely giving themselves a little extra time for weather. In case there are delays, they have Sunday to get the games in.
The one that has been referred to is PGF shoot out Invite in So Cal OCT 8th-10th. Weather rarely an issue here. There are others with same format. Just another question. Why is an INVITE with a 5GG cost $1795? That's $359 per game on Friday Morning. Just wondering.

Jul 19, 2021
Why is an INVITE with a 5GG cost $1795? That's $359 per game on Friday Morning. Just wondering.
I think the easiest answer is because that is what the market will bear.

How is the attendance compared to years past? I wonder if they planned for X number of teams so they set the schedule up accordingly but attendance is down so they don't have as many teams as they planned for which means they finish up earlier on Sunday than expected?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I think the easiest answer is because that is what the market will bear.

How is the attendance compared to years past? I wonder if they planned for X number of teams so they set the schedule up accordingly but attendance is down so they don't have as many teams as they planned for which means they finish up earlier on Sunday than expected?
yep!

Mar 10, 2020
Why does PGF continually schedule games on Fridays during the school year, especially when, the amount of teams in the Showcase/ Tourney doesn't merit or need Friday games? These are not Friday night games, but games starting at 10:00 am. Could it be their cut on Hotel rooms? Asking for a friend. This causes parents to take time off work and even more importantly it requires young ladies to miss school. What happened to STUDENT/athletes? I don't think playing ball is an excused absence. So now parents have to lie to their school administration. Should young students (11 to 18 years old) be missing there advanced math tests or any other academic requirements or activities to play on Fridays? These are basically Friday/ Saturday tourneys with championship game on Sunday. If it was every once in a while for an enormous tourney that logistically needed Friday games (preferably early evening) I wouldn't complain or question. But they do it almost every Friday. Come on PGF. Be better and remember they are students first, athletes second.
Run your own tournament.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Do you think this is the norm or a rarity? Do you think most parents are gullible?

Yes, most parents who want their kids to play college softball are gullible.

The gullible parents don't understand what "good" means. They don't understand how recruiting works. The don't understand how hard it is to get playing time at the D1 level. That makes them extremely vulnerable to people who praise their kids and feed them a line about how their DD going P5 or SEC.

I was pretty gullible, until we got the right PC. He coached Marie Barda (Michigan) and Laura Severson (Stanford). All three of them would be pitching at the same time...so, I got a reality check early on. And, I ran into Cathy Aradi, and she gave me a short course in college recruiting.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I didn't want to bring this up but now that the ice is broken.... Small sample size... but the former D1 softball players I have met are not really very impressive either socially and occupationally. (is that a word?) So they got their D1 education cheap but they come out of college less polished than you might expect. I guess priorities play a role.
Very good point.

A lot of kids are lost without their college sport. They have put so much time and energy into it that they don't know what to do.

The way you avoid this problem is for the parent to shut the F* up about softball as soon as they commit and start talking academics and career.

A brag: Both my sport kids did quite well after college--mainly because I was up there a****s about their future plans all through college.

Aug 3, 2016
Just looked at my kid's school schedule and she's got Friday off. Looks like we're golden then. It is kind of crazy that every team except two in each age division at the PGF Shootout will be done on Saturday. Guess more time to spend at the beach.....wait, what's that about an oil spill?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23