Why are we playing on Friday?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 6, 2013
It is only overused because very few choose to make a hard decision and actually do anything but whine...doesn't make it any less true.

To go with your capitalist theme, if PGF starts losing money because people are not signing up for their 3 day tournaments then they will be forced to change...right?
Sure but people won't and PGF won't have to - that's my point. I never said I don't agree - I said it's an overused and (IMO tired) term because it rarely happens. I don't know how many people have "boycotted" places because they don't like their policies and those places keep on trucking - some making record profits. It is what it is. The places that close down aren't because of some "boycott" it's because they sucked. As long as PGF (and any tourney organizer) brings in the coaches - and they do - then it won't stop. Maybe the first step to coordinate the college coaches to "boycott" the tournaments?

Aug 6, 2013
Sure but people won't and PGF won't have to - that's my point. I never said I don't agree - I said it's an overused and (IMO tired) term because it rarely happens. I don't know how many people have "boycotted" places because they don't like their policies and those places keep on trucking - some making record profits. It is what it is. The places that close down aren't because of some "boycott" it's because they sucked. As long as PGF (and any tourney organizer) brings in the coaches - and they do - then it won't stop. Maybe the first step to coordinate the college coaches to "boycott" the tournaments?
Because although those coaches won't be there Friday - they sure as heck will be there that weekend.......that's good enough for a lot of people. Yes - us included with my precious 2023.

Jun 8, 2016
Sure but people won't and PGF won't have to - that's my point. I never said I don't agree - I said it's an overused and (IMO tired) term because it rarely happens.
Fair enough...with that in mind my DW and I utter many overused phrases in the house ("Clean your room", "Stop hitting your brother", "Put the toilet seat up", etc)

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Then what do we do when we have to take our kids out of school for college visits? It's all intertwined into getting the kids to the right school.

Aug 6, 2013
Fair enough...with that in mind my DW and I utter many overused phrases in the house ("Clean your room", "Stop hitting your brother", "Put the toilet seat up", etc)
See? Futile. And :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: on the seat comment - is your DW uttering that phrase?

Jun 8, 2016
Then what do we do when we have to take our kids out of school for college visits? It's all intertwined into getting the kids to the right school.
This is all one big optimization problem where the objective function involves maximizing our child's future happiness.. 🤷‍♂️

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Nobody has answered WHY?? Is there soooo many teams we had to pay Friday? Ah, nope. NOW WHAT??
Well obviously you aren't accepting the answers...
and not answering questions directed back at you to answer your own question.
Since YOU ALLOW your daughter to play travel
NOW WHAT will you do?

Will you let her play travel on school time?

Will you let her play for her school and miss school?

Seriously @Rolling Hard beyond your issue of capitalism...
Softball exists the way it does because people want to show up and play!

As far as money,
Is there anything in this giant scheme of sb that can get accomplished without it?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Softball exists the way it does because people want to show up and play!
Why do they show up? Well-meaning parents are being duped and manipulated by people who simply want their money. Softball people who know better feed fairy tales to parents and players.

Softball charlatans are everywhere. They are in personal coaching, team coaching and tournaments. (Some college coaches are the worst.)

Here are the simple, basic rules for getting a scholarship:

1. The kid needs to be really, really good.

2. The kid/parents need to contact college coaches themselves. Take complete responsibility for recruiting. Don't hope that a softball coach will wander by a game and scream, "OMG! I've got to have that girl!" Don't rely on your HS coach/personal coach/TB coach/Anyone to help.

(Everyone who reads this post should send me their name and address, and I'll bill your $200.00 for my "recruiting service".)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Why do they show up? Well-meaning parents are being duped and manipulated by people who simply want their money. Softball people who know better feed fairy tales to parents and players.

Softball charlatans are everywhere. They are in personal coaching, team coaching and tournaments. (Some college coaches are the worst.)

Here are the simple, basic rules for getting a scholarship:

1. The kid needs to be really, really good.

2. The kid/parents need to contact college coaches themselves. Take complete responsibility for recruiting. Don't hope that a softball coach will wander by a game and scream, "OMG! I've got to have that girl!" Don't rely on your HS coach/personal coach/TB coach/Anyone to help.

(Everyone who reads this post should send me their name and address, and I'll bill your $200.00 for my "recruiting service".)
Why play has already been answered...multiple times!

Guess the next capitalism question is
Why do people pay massive $$$$$$ to do all sorts of stuff?
Why buy a car that cost more than the cheepest car? Hmmm...

No i dont think everyone playing is doing so for college hopes.

I previously asked if peer pressure is affecting this...
But even the OP didnt answer.
Can you?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802