Why are we playing on Friday?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Hotels, anybody???? OK, give me a legit reason. FUN is not the answer.
RH... What age group is your DD? I agree, it doesn't make sense for Friday games, but it is what it is. Our DD missed a LOT of school for softball the last 1.5yrs, absolutely put her in difficult situations grade wise that was hard to dig out of. But there are valuable lessons to be learned.

Homework in the car, homework on the road, basically homework everywhere but home!

FWIW, she needed to take summer school last summer because of her electives, took an entire year of world history in 6 weeks where she was on the road for 4 of them. Sheesh.

But this is the game if kids are really wanting to play in college.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
"Fun" is rarely a great reason to do anything.

Except for the very, very few, there is no future in softball.

Letting kids miss school for something as trivial as softball is a terrible lesson in setting priorities.
Agree there may not be a future for everyone in softball...
But this friday can be really really FUN!

How can you determine how others prioritize things or should prioritize?

Maybe having good grades taking a day off school is a reward!
also...plenty of parents who work really odd hours who don't get to spend much time with their kid but take their kids out of school for the day to go just have some quality time whatever that quality time is up to that family.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Agree the may not be a future for everyone in softball...
But this friday can be really really FUN!
To extrapolate (and yes this is extreme I know..) when I was that age if given a choice, I wouldn't have gone to school. It was boring and I would rather have been on a ball field/court...much more fun. Luckily the adults in my life decided it was important for me to go to school and I was smart enough that my apathy didn't really effect me grade wise...when school became more interesting (Sr. yr in HS) my apathy disappeared and because of the adults in my life I was setup to reap the benefits of that newly found interest..

As a parent in this situation, I would let my kid play but stress that at the 1st signs of grades slipping she isn't playing the next one. For some kids missing a Friday a few times a month isn't going to be a big deal..for others it will be. The point of school isn't showing up..the point is to learn the material. I had a friend/roommate (now brother in law) who probably missed 1/2 of his classes his freshmen and soph. years..he end up with a 3.9 something when he graduated with a degree in Computer Engineering..he knew that he didn't need to go and started to go when he needed to 🤷‍♂️

I do agree that figuring out how to get your work done in less than optimal situations (or when everybody else around you is doing stuff besides school work) is important if you are going to play sports in College. I remember studying in a hotel bathroom for an exam I had after Spring break when we went down South for baseball.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
How I see this is a reality check...
that people are doing something they want to do. that's an extracurricular activity, because it cost extra money and it's added into a schedule to make a commitment to it. it's something you get to do if you can afford doing it.
And yet people will still complain about 'what their own choice is' and that in itself makes me chuckle.

People complaining about what they choose to do.
Silly

Simply dont then and let others enjoy their choice!
👍

radness

Dec 13, 2019
No complaints, just an accurate judgment: The parents are idiots.

They are taking kids from school to play in an exposure tournament when the college coaches aren't there.
Basically your saying you judge people for taking their kids out of school.
Ok thats your opinion.
In your opinion is there any good reason to take a kid out of school?

Aug 6, 2013
No complaints, just an accurate judgment: The parents are idiots.

They are taking kids from school to play in an exposure tournament when the college coaches aren't there.
Well, thanks for the idiots comment. I guess I am one of those idiots. My daughter earns the right to go to the weekend tournaments where games start on Friday with her good grades. You're right college coaches aren't there but live streaming is a viable option for those games they can't be at. IF my daughter was struggling or had a huge test that couldn't be made up then of course we would prioritize but she is able to work with her teachers because she is a great student. This also gives her the opportunity to learn how to work through missing classes, coordinating with teachers and getting work made up for WHEN she does play ball in college.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
I do agree that figuring out how to get your work done in less than optimal situations (or when everybody else around you is doing stuff besides school work) is important if you are going to play sports in College. I remember studying in a hotel bathroom for an exam I had after Spring break when we went down South for baseball.

We had plenty of guys (especially when MCAT/LSAT dates were coming up) studying in the bullpen during games.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Playing hooky from school is the reward the kids earned for all the hard work they put into TB and school work. For the most part our softball athletes are more academically advanced than the general student population.

I played hooky: My mom made me stay home when I was in elementary, jr high(early 80's) when our gas and power got shut off because she bounced a check (way to go mom) Someone had to be there to give them the check and to turn it back on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802