Why are we playing on Friday?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2021
My cousin used to take her kids to Disney World for a week every year during November to avoid the crowds. One is now a Dr. and the other is a lawyer. Seems like their priorities were just fine after missing school for trivial matters.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
My cousin used to take her kids to Disney World for a week every year during November to avoid the crowds. One is now a Dr. and the other is a lawyer. Seems like their priorities were just fine after missing school for trivial matters.
^^^^This is a family decision. Playing on Friday is a team /coaches decision. Puts a young lady and her family in a tough position to say "no Coach, Jenny has to go to school on Friday ... she has a Math test or her grades are not up to par." And leave her team hanging. What if Jenny is the teams number one pitcher struggling with her grades?
And really nobody has answered the original question. WHY are we playing on Friday? We can argue about weather it right or wrong to take kids away from academics. My DD has 4.0 GPA and I am personally Ok with the occasionally missing school for a good reason. But Why are we playing on Friday. If every team can get in their 5 to 7 games on Saturday and Sunday with the amount of fields and sunlight available, why are we playing on Friday?
When it gets down to it, unless somebody has another reason, its about money. Pay to play dollars over kids education. This is the part that locks my jaws. Theses organization say they were created to help the student athletes achieve their goals, blah blah blah. They don't care the least bit about the student athlete. Funny thing is, there wont be any college coaches at the 12/14u fields on Friday morning. Not one.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
^^^^This is a family decision. Playing on Friday is a team /coaches decision. Puts a young lady and her family in a tough position to say "no Coach, Jenny has to go to school on Friday ... she has a Math test or her grades are not up to par." And leave her team hanging. What if Jenny is the teams number one pitcher struggling with her grades?
And really nobody has answered the original question. WHY are we playing on Friday? We can argue about weather it right or wrong to take kids away from academics. My DD has 4.0 GPA and I am personally Ok with the occasionally missing school for a good reason. But Why are we playing on Friday. If every team can get in their 5 to 7 games on Saturday and Sunday with the amount of fields and sunlight available, why are we playing on Friday?
When it gets down to it, unless somebody has another reason, its about money. Pay to play dollars over kids education. This is the part that locks my jaws. Theses organization say they were created to help the student athletes achieve their goals, blah blah blah. They don't care the least bit about the student athlete. Funny thing is, there wont be any college coaches at the 12/14u fields on Friday morning. Not one.
Uhhh yep there have been multiple answers...
Thats interesting Disney World gets family priority over s.b.
Hmmm pretty much think softball is in that same catagory.
Family decision.

So really the issue seems you mention peer pressure is an issue.
isnt it enough you can just say no and raise your child without playing on friday or are you feeling compelled by group influence?
Or maybe this is a campaign to stop games on fridays?🥳no...🙂

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Your kid has been playing TB for what, 4+ years and the fact that a decision was made based upon financial reasons alone is still surprising to you? Come on man 😂

Feb 1, 2021
"Fun" is rarely a great reason to do anything.

Except for the very, very few, there is no future in softball.

Letting kids miss school for something as trivial as softball is a terrible lesson in setting priorities.
My son played a soccer game in 100-degree weather. He was severely dehydrated afterward and had an upset stomach. Anybody that has been severely dehydrated knows is like a 3-day hangover. He had the same feeling the following morning. My wife 'foolishly' mentioned the upset stomach when asked why he wasn't going to school. He had to stay home for 3 days and have a negative COVID test before he could come back to class.

I mention that because the school HAS the ability to show classes online any day, any time. They are ready at a moment's notice to do so. To discourage people from staying home because they want to, they won't broadcast classes online to you unless you have a positive test. DUMB! The school MADE my son stay home AND refused to broadcast classes to him for THREE DAYS.

If they are absolutely dumb enough to pull that kind of garbage, a kid can miss a day of class for a softball game. Academics can still be your first priority even if you aren't present. We care more about academics than his school does!

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021
No complaints, just an accurate judgment: The parents are idiots.

They are taking kids from school to play in an exposure tournament when the college coaches aren't there.
But you work M,T,W,Th, even though payday is only on Friday.

It sounds like I am advocating for missing class. I want to be clear, I am not. Just that missing a day or two a year isn't going to do much for 95% of the kids.

When I'm a g-paw, I'm going to go get my g-kids out of class every once in a blue moon just to go get ice cream. THe memories of that will last a lifetime. The PE class you missed that day, not so much.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
When I'm a g-paw, I'm going to go get my g-kids out of class every once in a blue moon just to go get ice cream. THe memories of that will last a lifetime. The PE class you missed that day, not so much.
We're not talking about ice cream with grandpa.

We are talking about one more softball game when the kids are already playing 100 to 200 softball games per year.

Feb 1, 2021
We're not talking about ice cream with grandpa.

We are talking about one more softball game when the kids are already playing 100 to 200 softball games per year.
Aww come on @sluggers. You know 'ice cream instead of class' > 'ice cream' ;):ROFLMAO:

I meant 'softball'. All this ice cream talk has got me distracted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog