Why are we playing on Friday?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Because teams show up to play.

Apparently parents like an excuse to not go to work.

There is probably a debate to be made that missing one day of school means nothing.

Whats the problem then...lol

In the grand scheme? It means nothing. Grade level probably makes a difference as well. As parents, we try to make it clear scholastics before sports. But, what fun is being a kid if you can't play hooky now and again?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Missing a day of school never hurt nobody. Oh Wait! It will be on their permanent record.

With many people working from home or telecommuting, it should make it easier for parents to break away for a couple of games and get back to work or the kids can car pool. And yes, there are teams coming in from out of town. If that is a problem for most of the parents on that team, then you do sign up. Another reason to carry more than 14 kids on a roster. DD had to pick on another team in the organization b/c some kids couldn't make the early game.

osagedr

Canadian Fastpitch Dad
Oct 20, 2016
In our case, we travel a long, long, long, long way to these events and always have to miss school days. DD is a 4.0 anyway. She keeps up through hard independent study. For us it's hard to argue she "needs to be there" when our kids just went through a long period of time with every class being virtual and after that going to school every second day. And then after that virtual again. At the end of the day...I understand if someone doesn't want their kid to play that day or that weekend.

Jun 27, 2021
Why does PGF continually schedule games on Fridays during the school year, especially when, the amount of teams in the Showcase/ Tourney doesn't merit or need Friday games? These are not Friday night games, but games starting at 10:00 am. Could it be their cut on Hotel rooms? Asking for a friend. This causes parents to take time off work and even more importantly it requires young ladies to miss school. What happened to STUDENT/athletes? I don't think playing ball is an excused absence. So now parents have to lie to their school administration. Should young students (11 to 18 years old) be missing there advanced math tests or any other academic requirements or activities to play on Fridays? These are basically Friday/ Saturday tourneys with championship game on Sunday. If it was every once in a while for an enormous tourney that logistically needed Friday games (preferably early evening) I wouldn't complain or question. But they do it almost every Friday. Come on PGF. Be better and remember they are students first, athletes second.
I don't disagree with the message, but if you sign your daughter up to play in tournaments to get looks/play better competition then you sign up for 10am games too on Friday. Many Fridays my wife has kids missing class to catch flights over the years. If a kid has a test on Friday, they can either go to class and miss the game or work it out with their teacher to take the test agreed upon. The final decision is the parent/player not PGF.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
In the grand scheme? It means nothing. Grade level probably makes a difference as well. As parents, we try to make it clear scholastics before sports. But, what fun is being a kid if you can't play hooky now and again?
School/academics befor sports works for some
Yet it is also true that sports open the door to a college education for others who otherwise would not go to college.
Yep lower than 4.0gpa can still go to college...
Some push hard just to be a 3.0 others squeeking in below 3.0 and colleges already know they are set up with tutors and mandatory study hall.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
School/academics befor sports works for some
Yet it is also true that sports open the door to a college education for others who otherwise would not go to college.
Yep lower than 4.0gpa can still go to college...
Some push hard just to be a 3.0 others squeeking in below 3.0 and colleges already know they are set up with tutors and mandatory study hall.

This is a good point. Each family needs to make their own decisions based on situation. Which pretty much sums up most things in life.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
How about this part of the equation:

Here’s how attendance and funding are related: School districts in Texas receive state funding based in part on Average Daily Attendance (ADA) numbers. ADA is a figure that indicates the average number of students who attend a particular school district in a school year. ADA is a key number in a formula that ultimately determines how much money your school gets from the state.

The math​

ADA = Sum of Attendance Counts ÷ Days of Instruction.

So, if a student misses nine days during the 180-day school year, the district loses 5 percent of the funding a student with perfect attendance would generate.

ADA is not the same as enrollment. Enrollment is the total number of students signed up to attend the school. ADA reflects how often those enrolled students actually go to school.

The bottom line​

Your school loses money when your child is absent. At the same time, the school must still pay for teacher and staff salaries, operations, building maintenance, electricity, and all the other expenses involved with running the school.

So there are two good reasons—educational and financial—to aim for a great attendance record.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
How about this part of the equation:

Here’s how attendance and funding are related: School districts in Texas receive state funding based in part on Average Daily Attendance (ADA) numbers. ADA is a figure that indicates the average number of students who attend a particular school district in a school year. ADA is a key number in a formula that ultimately determines how much money your school gets from the state.

The math​

ADA = Sum of Attendance Counts ÷ Days of Instruction.

So, if a student misses nine days during the 180-day school year, the district loses 5 percent of the funding a student with perfect attendance would generate.

ADA is not the same as enrollment. Enrollment is the total number of students signed up to attend the school. ADA reflects how often those enrolled students actually go to school.

The bottom line​

Your school loses money when your child is absent. At the same time, the school must still pay for teacher and staff salaries, operations, building maintenance, electricity, and all the other expenses involved with running the school.

So there are two good reasons—educational and financial—to aim for a great attendance record.
'imagine'
parents across the nation, scrambling and adjusting everything to fulfill that quota for the schools...

Hmmm -5% funding...
Probably less than 5% of parents have any clue to how that works.

Probably a much greater % wouldn't care...
Just guessing from the amount of family's doing other stuff than school during weekdays.
Simply commenting parents have already concluded what they prioritize.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021
Because teams show up to play.

Apparently parents like an excuse to not go to work.

There is probably a debate to be made that missing one day of school means nothing.

Whats the problem then...lol
My DD still got straight A's and my vacation days were saved up for this kind of stuff. Now that shes in college 6 hours away, I miss the goofy kid I got to see on those road trips more then the actual softball.

You'll miss it when its over. I promise.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee