Why are we playing on Friday?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Why does PGF continually schedule games on Fridays during the school year, especially when, the amount of teams in the Showcase/ Tourney doesn't merit or need Friday games? These are not Friday night games, but games starting at 10:00 am. Could it be their cut on Hotel rooms? Asking for a friend. This causes parents to take time off work and even more importantly it requires young ladies to miss school. What happened to STUDENT/athletes? I don't think playing ball is an excused absence. So now parents have to lie to their school administration. Should young students (11 to 18 years old) be missing there advanced math tests or any other academic requirements or activities to play on Fridays? These are basically Friday/ Saturday tourneys with championship game on Sunday. If it was every once in a while for an enormous tourney that logistically needed Friday games (preferably early evening) I wouldn't complain or question. But they do it almost every Friday. Come on PGF. Be better and remember they are students first, athletes second.

May 21, 2018
We have this situation this Friday with a PGF tournament. Luckily DD's school is very accommodating in these situations and we aren't traveling far, but some teams are. In my experience, this is very common with club volleyball. A lot of tournaments start on Friday and almost all the bigger tournaments do.

Like I said, our school is very cool about this, but it still doesn't feel right to pull your kid out of school for a ball tournament. The girls of course love it.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Hard pass for me. School comes first no matter how much DD loves softball.

When school is out? Then sure. But that’s easy for me to say as I can work from anywhere. Home, office, coffee shop, or softball field.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Why does PGF continually schedule games on Fridays during the school year, especially when, the amount of teams in the Showcase/ Tourney doesn't merit or need Friday games?
Because teams show up to play.

Apparently parents like an excuse to not go to work.

There is probably a debate to be made that missing one day of school means nothing.

Whats the problem then...lol

Dec 2, 2013
Texas

Apparently parents like an excuse to not go to work.

There is probably a debate to be made that missing one day of school means nothing.

Whats the problem then...lol
lol. This is very true. Hey kid what did y'all do at school today. Nuthin'!

Apr 1, 2017
In the end, it really is this simple.

Don't sign up and let the people running the event know the reason. The problem is, it seems there are too many teams/people afraid to take a stand because they will be doomed and fall behind everyone else...

Jul 3, 2013
Missing class for softball? If you believe college ball is in your DD's future, I suggest getting used to it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee