Why are some D3 teams better than others?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Pitching, Pitching and more pitching. This is true in all of softball and yes I am stating the obvious. At any level, these players can hit. They have been hitting all of their lives. If your pitchers/defense can hold a team to 3 runs a game consistently, they have done their job. If you lose, your hitting let you down.

The D1 teams are gonna get the D1 talent, which we already know. If a D3 coach can recriut a D1 type pitcher, they can do pretty good. What if they can get 2 D1 type pitchers? Well, they have a pretty good chance of winning their conference, and quite possibly getting out of their regional. I sat through many D3 games and got to watch various teams and their pitching staffs in a pretty solid conference. Many pitchers don't have the stamina to last an entire game, and they have to use up 2-3 pitchers in their games. Remember they play 3 games series for the most part. By the 3rd game, there are no secrets. I witnessed a pretty succesful pitcher that was pretty dang good. (NFCA PofWeek and all american)This team would pitch her the 1st and 3rd games of the series hoping to guarantee 2 wins out of 3 games. I saw another team that had 4 starting pitchers and would utilitze a rotation. Ultimately, one of the pitchers(she's pretty good but not as good as the other 3) was left out of the rotation going into the last several weeks of game series. I found out that pitcher is transferring to a school down the road. Recruiting is not easy for D3 coaches, and they have to be patient, but some can recruit side by side with some of these mid major D1 programs.

I am getting ready to watch the D3 championship game between TLU and Va Wesleyan. https://www.ncaa.com/game/5843689 today. Va Wesleyan won the first game. I am rooting for TLU, since DD's former teammate is on that team. After watching many of these games over the past week, most of them have been pretty close for the most part. Yes, there have been a few blowouts, which in softball can happen in matter of minutes. What I have seen is the pitching has been pretty solid for most of these teams. Now if you combine awesome pitching with awesome, yet timely hitting, you can go deep.

Jun 11, 2012
Totally agree. Did to Covid DD’s team ended up with just 2 pitchers this past season and one girl who could throw an inning or two if needed.
Their conference played in pods and played 6 games against each team in the pod. Having limited pitching was a huge issue.
There are 6 incoming freshmen pitchers so hopefully that will make a difference.

Oct 26, 2019
That bodes well for Virginia Wesleyan in this series then since they have the most successful Division III pitcher of all time.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I also forgot Scott Smith (Bombers Head) is the hitting coach for TLU this year. Strother is having a hell of a game so far.

Oct 26, 2019
That is what I was referring to. She’s also been NPOY twice. Va Wesleyan is only about 15 minutes from our house. The head coach is an outstanding person who just “gets it”. His players absolutely love him.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
That is what I was referring to. She’s also been NPOY twice. Va Wesleyan is only about 15 minutes from our house. The head coach is an outstanding person who just “gets it”. His players absolutely love him.
That's good to hear about the coach. Too bad that is a rarity in today's coaching landscape.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
? The same reasons some D1's are better than others!

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
"Pitching, pitching, pitching" can be said about any level, not just D3. It even applies in travel ball. But those D3 teams that can land a D1 talent level pitcher have an advantage. DD is a pitcher and looking at schools from D3 to MM D1. The D3 team she visited had the coach tell her they are looking to build their program and to that end they are going after pitchers in order to become dominant. She was offered, but it's too early in her recruiting process and we weren't sure it is a good fit athletically.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee