Who should the coach tell about practices first, the players or the parents?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
I get it, that DD's coach cannot schedule practice the same day of the week, every week. He runs practices on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday night, on some weeks it runs two practices. He usually announces the practice times on the Sunday or Monday of that week. He announces the practices times on the players group chat, sometimes announcing it on the parents group chat later, sometimes he doesn't even announce it on the parents chat at all and we find out through the kids.

Do you think a coach should inform the parents first, or is it common practice to announce it to the players first?

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
I believe at around 14U, the players need to start being the ones getting the communication first.

Interesting point. Could you expand upon why you feel that?

That being said, I always put the practices and game schedules on Sports Engine so everyone can see them.

I wish our coach would make the information accessible to all, at the same time. I think relying on a 14 y/o to communicate with their parents is not always the best method.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
What age group? I believe at around 14U, the players need to start being the ones getting the communication first. That being said, I always put the practices and game schedules on Sports Engine so everyone can see them.

I agree with this. It starts teaching the player personal responsibility.

The player should not be the ONLY channel of communication though. As was pointed out, 14 year olds and parental communication can be a challenge.

On a side note: Floating practice nights always drove me nuts ... especially if they weren’t announced until a a few days before. Sorry, I don’t see much excuse for that.

May 29, 2019
I thought it was a given that most everyone used something like Team Snap. In todays age of technology, there really isn't any excuse to not post scheduling on some sort of social media so all relevant parties can be immediately notified.

Apr 26, 2015
We have never had floating practices for TB - just HS track - they tore the track up at DD's school so they had to use the facilities at different schools for most of the season and they would text the runners where and when. That made me crazy as my daughter cannot drive yet and she would find out that same day and then text me. UGH. But I also get that in HS the majority of the kids can drive - or provide rides (not that I'm always thrilled with that idea...but...)

I think with TB it should be sent out to everyone at once if you are still relying on parents to drive the kids. Once they are older and drive themselves I guess I'm ok with coach-player communication only. Other communication is fine to be sent just coach-player IMO.

May 29, 2015
I thought it was a given that most everyone used something like Team Snap. In todays age of technology, there really isn't any excuse to not post scheduling on some sort of social media so all relevant parties can be immediately notified.

This is as social as my media gets ... and I work in PR/communications.

I understand the modern era, but it bugs me when people just assume that EVERYBODY SHOULD be on the FaceChats/SnapSpace channels. Back when I ran our local league I had a League Secretary that only wanted to put things on Facebook. I would not allow that. We had too many people who didn’t use it ... but SHE did so everybody should. Nope.

Using a defined communication tool for your group is different. I am OK with saying “we are going to use this app to push messages out.” Just make sure you vet that app and make sure it will work for everybody and doesn’t have any hidden pitfalls (e.g., security risks).

Nov 29, 2009
Interesting point. Could you expand upon why you feel that?

I wish our coach would make the information accessible to all, at the same time. I think relying on a 14 y/o to communicate with their parents is not always the best method.

The reason for that is to train them for college. The coach tells the players what is going on. It's up to the players to communicate it with anyone else. You need to have a talk with your DD and tell her to make sure you know everything that is going on. The HS coach will not tell you.

At 14U the players better be responsible enough to know what is important. I know when my DD was playing there was almost no communication from the coaches. It was up to my DD to make sure we got the information. If she didn't it was her fault for missed things.

The programs my DD played in would have the players stay 4 to a room when they traveled out of town. Not with the parents. I was good for me as my work didn't allow me to go with her most of the times. She traveled the country alone with her team. It really prepared her for college.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478