Who do you listen to for advice on your player's development?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 2, 2022
Hi Parents - I'm the father of a 13yr old pitcher (plays mostly 12U TB). My DD is one of the more advanced pitchers in our area (especially if you compare pitchers of the same size). Velo, accuracy, awareness is up there. Here's where I'm struggling. My wife and I are not from softball families. We are learning as we go and are trying to figure out who to trust for advice. Seemingly everywhere we look - the professional coaches in our circles are inherently biased toward their services, the teams they coach or the gym they train at. How have other's found a more neutral expert to help navigate all the decisions on things like "time to go to a more advanced PC...go tryout for X team...don't waste money on X lessons"? All I have now is banter from other parents, random (unsolicited) advice from opposing coaches (i.e., "go see X coach") and the occasional feedback from coaches who want her to tryout for their team.

Who have others turned to for unbiased (or as unbiased it can be) advice on how to navigate your daughter's development?

Jun 19, 2020
I might venture to say not very many us started out as "softball families." My best advice to listen to parents that are two or more years ahead of you. They already made the mistakes you haven't made yet.
Good advice from socks here. Learn from someone who has been there and done that. I was able to lean on a parent whose DD went through the recruiting/commitment process 2 years ahead of us. Our Organization had a recruiter as well and they were another asset. As far as pitching coaches and teams a lot of that depends on your DD's goals.

Jan 2, 2022
Good advice from socks here. Learn from someone who has been there and done that. I was able to lean on a parent whose DD went through the recruiting/commitment process 2 years ahead of us. Our Organization had a recruiter as well and they were another asset. As far as pitching coaches and teams a lot of that depends on your DD's goals.
Great advice -- I'll find a parent a few years ahead of us!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Great advice -- I'll find a parent a few years ahead of us!
Make sure the player has some level success and plays in a good program. Be picky who you talk to you. DD was at small group practice in 8th grade and Bailey Klingler was there too who had already committed to Texas A&M in her 8th grade year. I got talking with her dad who had an older DD that was playing in college. I was able to pick his brain regarding their recruiting journey. Oh, and Janae Jefferson was there too. She committed to UT that same week. Lots of knowledge sitting around.

Nov 15, 2019
Definitely agree with finding someone who is a few years ahead of you to ask questions and get their perspective.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802