who defines potential?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
recent conversation with my on/off pitcher DD
DD - it just feels like you want me to be perfect.
Coach Me - not at all. I do want you to put in the work to play at your potential. Same with all my players.
DD - oh, so you want all of us to be perfect?
Coach Me - absolutely not! But it's my job to help you be the best you can be, for you and for your team mates. Same goes for them.
DD - ok, but why do you get to decide what my potential is?

good question, eh 🤔

Jun 8, 2016

good question, eh 🤔
Coach you: Very good point but if your assessment of your own potential is lower than mine and hence feel like you do not need to work hard, I CAN decide to stop spending my money on travel ball.

Apr 30, 2018
I think potential is an overused term. Obviously someone that has been around a sport or activity for an extended amount of time has a good idea whether someone does or doesn't have the tools to get to a certain level. In general most parents have a skewed view of their children's "potential". "you can be anything you want if you set your mind too it." Some kids no matter how hard they work aren't going to be D1 anything, Dr's or numerous other things, that's just how it is. No one decides what your potential is, it just is what it is. You find out what your potential is by putting in the work to find out what your personal ceiling is. Some people are curious to find out what that is..., most aren't.

May 6, 2015
OP sounds like my DD (future lawyer she has already decided).

good comeback to that sort of discussion : “Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence.” V. Lombardi

Apr 23, 2020
SE Wisconsin
I think you covered it with "it's my job to help you be the best you can be, for you and for your team mates." I especially liked that you included the teammates...gives DD a sense of how her effort affects others.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Usally player does.

I do not know why but I was thinking about this morning during my morning walk. Every player in NFL, even on the practice squads, are unbelievable. All pro sports are same, except for a few like John Dally in golf.

We talk about sports greats, they work thier butt off. We just do not see it.

DD could have better at SB but she was comfortable where she was at, nothing wrong with that either.

Jun 8, 2016
DD could have better at SB but she was comfortable where she was at, nothing wrong with that either.
I've thought about this some, not necessarily with respect to sports because they are not that important, but other aspects of life.

What responsibility to society does a person have with respect to maximizing one's "potential" in an area which effects other people? If doing so maximizes one's own happiness it is an easy call but what if it doesn't?

Nov 29, 2009
recent conversation with my on/off pitcher DD
DD - it just feels like you want me to be perfect.
Coach Me - not at all. I do want you to put in the work to play at your potential. Same with all my players.
DD - oh, so you want all of us to be perfect?
Coach Me - absolutely not! But it's my job to help you be the best you can be, for you and for your team mates. Same goes for them.

good question, eh 🤔

Tell her SHE defines her potential.

It's YOU who makes sure that she gives her BEST effort in the pursuit of finding her greatest potential. Tell her you NEVER want her to aks herself "What if?" in the future.

WOC: "Only the names change." RIP Ed. You impacted a lot of lives.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802