Whiffle Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
Check it out:

https://www.theringer.com/sports/2019/8/15/20805338/world-wiffle-ball-championship-growing-sport

When I was a kid a looong time ago we used to have summer-long, three-player (my brother, me and a neighborhood friend) whiffle ball home run derbies. Pitchback was the strike zone, up against our garage door, we pitched slow-pitch (read the article, it's the purer form of whiffle ball) and across the street and over the sidewalk on the fly was a home run, grounder over the sidewalk saved you from being out, any ball caught or stopped before the sidewalk was an out. And yes, we spent the summer running across our neighbors front lawns lol...

I put this in the technical forum because those games were how I learned -- obviously long before I knew what it meant -- to create and use stretch and hit oppo. You can't muscle up a slow-pitched whiffle ball, especially with the light whiffle ball bat. Stretching, using a long-through swing and hitting oppo created the hardest-to-catch line drive home runs (versus easy to catch pop-ups to the outfield) and also crossed up the outfielder who was usually camped in what would have been left field.

Like everyone else, I've obviously pitched a million pre-game whiffle balls to girls hitting with their regular fast pitch bats. Never really played around with using a plastic whiffle ball bat as a training aide. But this story brought back memories :)

Jun 8, 2016
We played all kinds of games growing up where the ball was coming in slow...wiffle ball, HR Derby, stickball where the ball was bounced in, etc. I also don't ever remember complaining to my coaches or Dad that a pitcher was too slow to hit..

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
My 1-year-old's first birthday a couple of weeks ago was themed as Rookie of the Year. We had a wiffle ball game in the front yard for the kids, with an umpire, scoreboard, etc, and we had all of the adults grab chairs and "sit in the stands." I grew up playing wiffle ball in this front yard.

Ellie went deep.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
slow-pitch wiffle?

I always thought the whole point of wiffle ball was to use the "slots" orientation on the ball to make it move LOTS.
Harder to do without spin/velocity.

Jun 11, 2013
We used to play all the time. You had to pick a major league team and bat the lineup. If it was a lefty you hit left if it was a righty you hit right. There were certain coaches who didn't want their kids playing wiffle ball but I don't ever recall a player who was a good hitter at wiffle who couldn't hit real baseballs too. We made up all kids of rules so we could play 1 on 1. We would play at night on our street with a peewee ball which had air in it with 7 on 7 games.

Jun 8, 2016
We used to play all the time. You had to pick a major league team and bat the lineup. If it was a lefty you hit left if it was a righty you hit right. There were certain coaches who didn't want their kids playing wiffle ball but I don't ever recall a player who was a good hitter at wiffle who couldn't hit real baseballs too. We made up all kids of rules so we could play 1 on 1. We would play at night on our street with a peewee ball which had air in it with 7 on 7 games.
We did the lineup thing too. My DD was amazed that I could swing lefty (it isn't great but serviceable..I could probably slap :)) We never had that many kids playing though. We typically only played 1 on 1 or with 3 kids.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
slow-pitch wiffle?

I always thought the whole point of wiffle ball was to use the "slots" orientation on the ball to make it move LOTS.
Harder to do without spin/velocity.
We would try and throw the ball as fast as we could.
giphy.gif

Nov 18, 2015
That's the 3U variation of the Justin Stone "feet together" drill...

And is it Wiffle or Whiffle?

I don't think I ever played it underhand, but the ball can move plenty even when throwing at "soft-toss" speeds.

Oct 3, 2019
Very exciting variation of baseball. It was changed to be able to play indoors or outdoors in small or large areas. A few smart marketing tricks later, Wiffleball began to get played sandlots, picnics, and backyards.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812