Where'd the time go. It's hard to believe my Senior season is here!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
It's hard to believe its almost high school softball season in PA. I mean, it seems like just a couple of weeks ago, we were starting the school year. We'd be having cheer practice while the football team practices and learns how to work as a unit. Fall softball was in full swing. My sister was practicing volleyball while she was learning how to throw a more effective rise and drop ball. Taking tests to determine my scores to get into college (I didn't think a 1350 on the SAT was too shabby :]). I was sitting with my sister after we took preseason BP at our local sports center to start warming up for softball season and we reminiced about everything that happened over the last year or so while we drank coffee and being cold in our light jackets while we enjoyed the beauty of the little bit of melting snow on the ground. My mom, dad and I have been talking about all different kinds of things before I graduate and head off to college an hour to an hour and a half away from home especially life and softball. I just feel so nervous for this season. I mean, it's not like I'm going to lose my academic scholarship and grants yet unless I do something extremely stupid (which I don't foresee happening).

College DFP parents, did you talk a lot to your daughters before they headed off to college? I'm just feeling like this is going to be a very emotional season for all of us.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Gabby - Thank you for sharing your journey with us - good times and bad. I hope you continue to do so as you move through your senior year of HS and off to college. I wish you all the best on the road ahead. :)

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Gabby - Thank you for sharing your journey with us - good times and bad. I hope you continue to do so as you move through your senior year of HS and off to college. I wish you all the best on the road ahead. :)

Hey, Eric, I've really enjoyed sharing my softball journey throughout high school, rec and travel ball with you guys, especially the ups and downs. This year has seemed like its been a bunch of ups especially with social, school and sports stuff going on (being a part of homecoming court and becoming homecoming queen, having a 5.0 GPA, scoring 1350 on the SAT and being a captain on the fall ball team) and downs especially with injuries (tweaked my knee and ankle cheerleading, got my second concussion in November cheerleading along with a broken foot and nose[I didn't get totally cleared to return to athletics until the end of January], tweaked my thumb during fall ball catching, tweaked my back cheerleading and really having my endometriosis flair up having a lot of pelvic pain). But I will continue to chronicle my journey through college as much as I can. It's not going to be too bad going to a D3 school. I am so excited to finally get to school and see what the school's softball center is going to be like and get to know my teammates and just be able to focus on my pre-law stuff and softball.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Gabby,

My daughter is a freshman in college, so her "senior year" was just this past year. It was a very emotional year for her, and for us. A year filled with "lasts". The "last" games as a high school player. The "last" days with the friends she went to school with for 12 years. The "last" after game family dinner at her favorite local restaurant. The "last" time for me to play catch with our high school player. It was difficult... However, all of the "lasts" were quickly replaced by brand new "firsts". Watching her get her "first" hit during fall ball with her college team. Meeting some of her new friends for the "first" time. Going to dinner as a family for the "first" time at her new favorite restaurant. So, yes, it will be a difficult year. My advice is to make the best of it, and enjoy the ride. It really isn't an end, just a transition to something new. Best of luck!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I just feel so nervous for this season.

Some advice:

1) Try to make every at-bat of your HS career your best at-bat of your HS career.
2) Try to make every game the best of HS career.
3) Make the last game of your HS career the best game of your HS career.

Most high school seniors get about 50% through the season and then start thinking too much about the spring, the summer and next season. The quality of their play goes down.

So, try to "get into the moment" of each game.

Nov 18, 2013
I’m very impressed with your maturity and openness as you share your journey with us. We talked extensively with DD before she headed off to college. I don’t think there was anything we could say to truly prepare her for what was ahead. Just tried to make sure she knew she could always come to us. Thankfully she did. Seems every other week she’d call in tears about a class, softball, boys or just being overwhelmed. Seemed to help when I told her all my softball parent friends were going through the same thing. This year she’s a senior in college and it feels quite a bit different. There’s not much “This is the last time…” She’s only talked about all her life she’s been identified as a softball player and that ends in about 2 months. She’s looking forward to the next chapter and starting her career. She’ll still be coaching. It’ll just be different.

I also have a son in HS the same age as you. He’s decided not to play sports in college. The hardest part about that for me was hearing he thought I’d be disappointed if he turned down the invitations to play in college. It was mainly D3’s that were interested in him and I’ll tell you the same thing I told him. Don’t ever let that “only D3” get to you. Being a student athlete requires a tremendous amount of dedication and is admirable no matter where you’re playing. I would have loved to see him play football, but for him, not for me. I’m just excited he’s going to college and thinks he knows what he wants to do.

Good luck and looking forward to following your college career on here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee