Where to get more power?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
The bolded items = mechanics/technique.

Technique>strength
Mass>strength

A high level swing does NOT use muscles foremost. You use leverage.

[the above applies to pitching as well]

Almost every kid that posts their swing here has a leverage leak.

This is DD's present problem. She's 5' 2", 130lbs and has always been naturally "strong". She started strength and performance training as well as making hitting mechanics a real focus. This is all relatively short term. Started back in Nov/Dec while rehabbing a knee issue. But has built a much better core and a lot of lean muscle. Especially in the legs.

In the short time she went from hitting doubles off live pitching to hitting the fence off front toss. But, a big reason she's not getting over is because of leaking. It's still a work in progress, but if she can resolve those issues then I anticipate one (or more) will go over the fence this year.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
She is already bench pressing 80% of her body weight. Pushups/bench press aren't going to get her where she needs to go.

I'm not advocating for pushups only, nor was I commenting specifically for this player only. I see pushups as a valuable exercise within a whole-body program. Also, adding resistance to pushups isn't hard, if that's what's needed.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The bolded items = mechanics/technique.

Technique>strength
Mass>strength

A high level swing does NOT use muscles foremost. You use leverage.

[the above applies to pitching as well]

Almost every kid that posts their swing here has a leverage leak.
Could you explain how ,where and when leverage works in the swing and where it most commonly leaks? And how to fix it?

Oct 14, 2019
DD’s friend is an 09, maybe 5’3” 115. She has been doing crossfit for several years. She hits bombs at 14U.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802