Where to get more power?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2018
Take push ups to the next level. After she does her bench press, go immediately to clap pushups. she probably won't be able to do them. Instead have her pushups explosive enough to get her hands off the ground. until failure. she won't be able to do many. same thing with squats. Do the weighted squats, then immediately jump on and off a low step as quickly as she can for 30 seconds (no weights). There are all sorts of fun things to do.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Considering swing mechanics are good, what is the one area to look to, to help generate home run power: timing, bat speed, hips, lower body?
The bolded items = mechanics/technique.

Technique>strength
Mass>strength

A high level swing does NOT use muscles foremost. You use leverage.

[the above applies to pitching as well]

Almost every kid that posts their swing here has a leverage leak.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Another part to the aforementioned suggestions is her mental approach. She has to think and believe home run in her approach. If she’s staying safe in “just make contact” then it won’t happen. Swing for the fences as they say.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
For more power, you need to build power. Improved strength is only one factor. Power is not just being able to move more weight, but also doing it quicker. The focus should not be on one exercise or muscle group, but on building whole-body strength while improving explosiveness and balance.

May 17, 2012
For more power, you need to build power. Improved strength is only one factor. Power is not just being able to move more weight, but also doing it quicker. The focus should not be on one exercise or muscle group, but on building whole-body strength while improving explosiveness and balance.

Pretty much this. Bench press is not a whole body lift so I wouldn't focus on that. Squats and deadlift will get you where you want to go. Of course you will have to eat accordingly to gain strength. She won't get physically big if she is concerned about that.

I wouldn't focus on mechanics if she is a good hitter already. Mechanics is such a small piece of the puzzle and this isn't baseball. She is swinging a $300 trampoline already.

Homeruns are just doubles you hit too hard.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Pretty much this. Bench press is not a whole body lift so I wouldn't focus on that. Squats and deadlight will get you where you want to go. Of course you will have to eat accordingly to gain strength. She won't get physically big if she is concerned about that.

I wouldn't focus on mechanics if she is a good hitter already. Mechanics is such a small piece of the puzzle and this isn't baseball. She is swinging a $300 trampoline already.

Homeruns are just doubles you hit too hard.

For building strength in those muscle groups, pushups is better because it also activates core muscles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee