Where exactly is the true pivot point?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I am not sure if this means anything, but if you try one handed drills with a moving ball it is a heck of a lot harder to get a good path to the ball using bottom hand only vs top hand only.. 🤷‍♂️

The physics makes sense in terms of bat speed to have the pivot point as far away from the barrel as possible but you have to barrel up the ball in order for that to matter ;)

May 27, 2022
I don't teach a 'pivot' point. BUT, we do teach that the top hand should be looser and push the bat while the bottom hand is more grounded.

But, I don't know that any kids I work with think about a "pivot" point when they swing.

Taking it further, you don't really want the bat to pivot around their hands, you want the pivot point to be their spine or maybe front hip. If you watch some of the 3D bat paths from great players, the knob of the bat is not a pivot point; it continues to move through contact with the ball and beyond. I have a couple girls that throw their hands forward to a point even with their front foot, and then flip the bat around the knob of the bat. IMO, they are losing all the power from their body and just flipping or chucking the bat at the ball. We also have girls who, from watching slomo video, don't have forward motion with their hands after contact and work with them to continue pushing through the point of contact.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I don't teach a 'pivot' point. BUT, we do teach that the top hand should be looser and push the bat while the bottom hand is more grounded.

But, I don't know that any kids I work with think about a "pivot" point when they swing.

Taking it further, you don't really want the bat to pivot around their hands, you want the pivot point to be their spine or maybe front hip. If you watch some of the 3D bat paths from great players, the knob of the bat is not a pivot point; it continues to move through contact with the ball and beyond. I have a couple girls that throw their hands forward to a point even with their front foot, and then flip the bat around the knob of the bat. IMO, they are losing all the power from their body and just flipping or chucking the bat at the ball. We also have girls who, from watching slomo video, don't have forward motion with their hands after contact and work with them to continue pushing through the point of contact.
I like the thought of the hands being thrown (never pushed) off the "tilt a whirl". Being thrown off because the core (the obliques and whole lot of other mucsles) is whipping the shoulders/arms/hands unit around. The right hand guide or aims the barrel on its proper path to create line drives. The proper barrel path is created mostly by posture and the right hand fine tunes and makes adjustments for pitch location and maybe even ball movement for very gifted athletes. See Donaldson's effortless power explanation.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I am not sure if this means anything, but if you try one handed drills with a moving ball it is a heck of a lot harder to get a good path to the ball using bottom hand only vs top hand only.. 🤷‍♂️

The physics makes sense in terms of bat speed to have the pivot point as far away from the barrel as possible but you have to barrel up the ball in order for that to matter ;)
Confirmation on the physics. Thank you.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812