Where do we start? Still working

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
WW-I get what you are saying about avoiding loading in the transverse plane (ABAF movement), but what do you mean about " a load vertically"? What is the feel of loading vertically?

Not WW, but vertically loading stabilizes the back hip/leg.

Look at the Pujols clip above. His hands come down a little as he loads. The back hip and leg don’t move backwards. The pelvis hinges a little and the back knee extends a little and then flexes again to swing. Think toes to head.

Feb 25, 2020
Ww is on the right track here. You push the butt back like that to bend the hip and load the hammies and glutes. So they can straighten it into contact. Betts goes from bent hip to straight hip in one frame of the gif. Hard to see kind of. But it is hip extension.

Best way to think of it is your butt moves your torso. When your butt moves forward your torso moves backwards. Very convenient as your arms are attached to your torso. So really your butt is moving whatever is in your hands. Thats how you pick up heavy stuff. Or also hit a ball 400+ feet.

Edit: Just realized this is in the practical section. I think she should watch some high level softball in person. Probly the best cue. What I mean is she is trying to hit it hard but cant quite get her body to do it. Her mind and body have been working on a problem that they cant quite figure out. To see the solution live in person might have a big effect.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I know the golf clip is a GIF, but are you aware if there is audio too? I have more questions but don't want to highjack the thread. Perhaps I'll start another thread. Thanks.

for me you want to stay vertical w your softball/baseball/golf swing as long as possible. It might be a feel for me. But many pros talk about ‘down to’. It helps eliminate certain aspects of force production that can hinder direction, posture and spacing(adjustability).

there are probably easier ways to create force but they aren’t as efficient or adjustable imo. Probably could create more force doing it other ways. Force or power isn’t why I would subscribe to this. The aforementioned would be why. For me power comes from ‘squaring’ and compressing the ball.

1614785230938.gif

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019
welcome to DFP, indeed, lol.
My $.02 - in layman's terms.... Not looking to start a 🔥 war. I know the gurus can/will pick this apart, but these are basic items, actionable today. (The middle school version if you will, while you work toward your Bachelor of Science in Hitting)

• Toes should point forward (or a little in) in her waiting stance (her feet are making a V now).
  • Knob points to the catcher's feet, that's good.
  • Coil to load - stare down down that pitcher and show her your front butt cheek just a little, like you're saying "show me what you got, sister!" (note the confident attitude there ;) ). That front heel should come up with the coil.
  • One way to "start the swing" is to slam that front heel down (not what I'd teach, but looks like she's used to no-stride), but bottom half should be starting the swing. (bonus points to add on after this motion is solid: hold that scap load/knob to catcher's feet position for a moment)
  • Arms "rotate the box" (back elbow goes from behind to down, front elbow goes from down to pointing at pitcher.) She mostly does this now, but loses the bend in the arm a little early, which manifests as drag.
  • Finish with belly button pointing to pitcher
  • Extension is a checkpoint - the arms should be straight with the bat pointing around the 2nd baseman position at some point frame in the video.
  • Finish with eyes on the point of contact - maintain that eye path after the swing is complete.

ETA: I think the top bit reads a bit snarkier than I intended. There's a great group of super-knowledgeable people here. I just know it's intimidating for a newbie to get a masters level course thrown at them when they're maybe just looking for a couple of pointers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee