When's the right time to size up on the catcher's mitt? 33 to 34"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 28, 2019
She's been using a rawlings hoh 33" mitt since about 10 years old. She's halfway into her 13u year essentially. 8th grade, will be starting JV ball this year. She's already a decent sized girl over 5'6" etc. Should she be fine moving to a 34" mitt now?

Any thoughts on brand mitt as well? Maybe looking at Wilson for the next one. Just bought her a 12" wilson glove with the super skin that i think she likes, was pretty easy to break in.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Just speaking from experience, if I were in the market for a new off the shelf retail catchers mitt right now I’d be looking at either a Kip Vinci or an All-Star.

One one mitt I’ve never owned or tried is a true Jtan custom HOH, and I would have loved to have tried one out. And I’m not talking about a pretty Rawlings Liberty Advanced made out of soft leather and can be broken-in in several days, I’m talking about a real custom HOH off of the Rawlings custom builder!

Either of these three would make her an excellent mitt!

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I would go with the 34" mitt now. My daughter switched to one in 9th grade with no issues.

The Super Skin is a little easier to break in, but it also won't last as long. I'd go with a HOH again. I don't have any experience with Vinci, but I hear good things about them, too.

Oct 14, 2020
We're getting a 34" All-Star worked into practice shape with an eye toward usage next year (second year of 12u). It's a fantastic glove and the pitchers love it because balls caught in the pocket can be LOUD.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee