When to remove an ineffective pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2021
When a relief pitcher is getting crushed, when is it enough? The scenario: U12 state tournament, extra innings, runner placed at 2nd base. The relief pitcher has been very effective to this point.

As happens in sports, everything went wrong and the totals for that last inning: 47 pitches, 14 batters, 12 runs, 6 hits, 3 BB, 4 wild pitches, 4 team errors and 1 pitcher, crying.

Fortunately, the rains came, literally. Should the pitcher been replaced? The team carries a total of 6 equally effective pitchers.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
When a relief pitcher is getting crushed, when is it enough? The scenario: U12 state tournament, extra innings, runner placed at 2nd base. The relief pitcher has been very effective to this point.

As happens in sports, everything went wrong and the totals for that last inning: 47 pitches, 14 batters, 12 runs, 6 hits, 3 BB, 4 wild pitches, 4 team errors and 1 pitcher, crying.

Fortunately, the rains came, literally. Should the pitcher been replaced?
I am going to go out on a limb here but I would venture sometime before “47 pitches, 14 batters, 12 runs, 6 hits, 3 BB, 4 wild pitches, 4 team errors and 1 pitcher, crying.”

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Fortunately, the rains came, literally. Should the pitcher been replaced? The team carries a total of 6 equally effective pitchers

I never made a big deal out of taking a kid out. I would rarely go out to the mound. I would just say from the bench, "Jody, go pitch. Suzie, go to 1B," and that would be it. And, I would take pitchers out quite a bit.

As a result, my pitchers didn't have psychological trauma from being taken out.

What I looked for:

1. When a pitcher gets a look of scared or frustrated.
2. Just before the game gets "out of hand".
3. After the second walk.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019
I never made a big deal out of taking a kid out. I would rarely go out to the mound. I would just say from the bench, "Jody, go pitch. Suzie, go to 1B," and that would be it. And, I would take pitchers out quite a bit.

As a result, my pitchers didn't have psychological trauma from being taken out.

What I looked for:

1. When a pitcher gets a look of scared or frustrated.
2. Just before the game gets "out of hand".
3. After the second walk.

I would be more insulted if the coach didn’t come out to the mound/circle to get me. I would feel like I was being shown up.

As far as when to remove a pitcher. I always try to let the starter work out of at least one jam. After that I think you are rolling the dice. When I bring a reliever in I always try to leave them a base open if I can.

Apr 12, 2015
I would be more insulted if the coach didn’t come out to the mound/circle to get me. I would feel like I was being shown up.
I think that would more depend on the coach's style. If, like Ray, the coach never went to the circle, I can't see the pitcher thinking it was a big deal or being insulted by it. However, if the coach normally did go to the circle, but didn't this time, then I could understand the pitcher being upset by it.

When a relief pitcher is getting crushed, when is it enough?
Depends on what the coach's goals are. Depends on if the pitcher is getting frustrated, discouraged, upset, etc. Depends on the coach's knowledge of the pitcher and how pulling or not pulling her could effect her over the long term. Actually, it depends on a lot of factors that we aren't necessarily privy to in this situation.

If the pitcher was crying, I'd say that is a pretty sure sign she was left in way too long.

Jun 8, 2016
Unfortunately, a serious question. Passive aggressive? I'll ask my psychiatrist when I'm reconfined.
Pitchers get relieved all the time (for various reasons) at all levels of softball/baseball..heck in MLB they had to implement a min batter faced rule because it was happening too often. So perhaps you see my confusion as to whether the question “should a pitcher be replaced” was a serious one considering “everything went wrong”..🤷🏽‍♂️

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23