When softball's not fun anymore

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2016
My daughter was committed as a freshman she was a 2018 grad. She pretty much wanted to quit softball every weekend because she was missing out on something, bonfire, dance, party etc. She told me on countless occasions I hate playing! I made her stay because she was committed and she was gonna honor her commitment….

It wasn’t till her senior year that she came around to the fact she was leaving home for college. Attitude changed she started getting excited for it. Now let’s fast forward 4 years she’s a senior in college with a year of eligibility left…. She is sad the journey is coming to an end and is incredibly thankful that I never let her quit!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I am one of those school administrators. Most of the time when it goes on parents or the kids never say anything because they assume nothing will be done. I can guarantee you most places something absolutely will be done, but we can’t do anything if we don’t know about it.

With that said though, bullies are very good at picking their victims. They usually pick kids who will not speak up or fight back. Once you speak up or fight back, they usually move on to an easier target.
Somehow that does not seem good enough.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
My daughter was committed as a freshman she was a 2018 grad. She pretty much wanted to quit softball every weekend because she was missing out on something, bonfire, dance, party etc. She told me on countless occasions I hate playing! I made her stay because she was committed and she was gonna honor her commitment….

It wasn’t till her senior year that she came around to the fact she was leaving home for college. Attitude changed she started getting excited for it. Now let’s fast forward 4 years she’s a senior in college with a year of eligibility left…. She is sad the journey is coming to an end and is incredibly thankful that I never let her quit!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Should not be that hard.

Jul 31, 2015
I'd be looking at a team that has a good developmental coach, coaches through encouragement and would be willing to let your DD come to practices whenever she wanted. These teams are hard to find but well worth the search because they are usually full of talented players that want to be there, want to improve, are having fun while working hard and are more concerned with competing versus winning. They know that winning will take care of itself if they continue to work hard and have fun.

^^^^^^

This should be a sticky.

Softball life is too short to put up with arrogant, low-knowledge, ego-stroking coaches.

Jun 8, 2016
Moving on to an easier target is not the solution. Severely punishing the bully is the answer.
I read his response as the reality of what happens, not as a solution to getting rid of the problem. Bullying has been around forever,
unfortunately now with social media it is more easily done and a kid can be subjected to it without anybody else knowing about it.

Oct 26, 2019
I read his response as the reality of what happens, not as a solution to getting rid of the problem. Bullying has been around forever,
unfortunately now with social media it is more easily done and a kid can be subjected to it without anybody else knowing about it.
Yes this is exactly what I meant. Every other solution to bullying involves someone else acting or helping out. Which has proven to not always happen unfortunately. Sometimes you have to stick up for yourself.

edited to add: sometimes it is unrealistic to stick up for yourself (and potentially unsafe.) I don’t have a solution to situations like that. Humans suck sometimes.

Jun 8, 2016
edited to add: sometimes it is unrealistic to stick up for yourself (and potentially unsafe.) I don’t have a solution to situations like that. Humans suck sometimes.
When I was in HS I toed the line between between the "jocks" and the "nerds". There was a kid who I had a locker next to who was in the latter group and he was constantly being picked on (he was small and sort of "geeky"). All it took was for me to treat the kid with some respect and to tell the bullies to knock it off for them to leave him alone. Granted life is different now, but the take home message is that I think it is important to tell your kids that everybody deserves to be treated with respect and that doing the right thing (whatever that entails given the situation), even if it might make them seem "uncool", is important.

That said, like I mentioned in my previous post (and alluded to above), the social media aspect nowadays is something that we didn't have to deal with when bullying was always in person and most of the time not private.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28