When look back rule goes in to effect on a walk

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 27, 2021
And there has to be a competent Ump that knows the LBR. Plenty do not. Plenty of coaches do not know the LBR and would like to argue the B-R going to 2nd.

Dec 11, 2010
This is interesting. So the runner on 3b( that is now down the line with her jump on that ball 4) does not have to get back to 3B (or make a decision) until the batter-runner touches 1B? Even if the pitcher has the ball in the circle? I guess I thought the runner on 3B had to make a decision when the pitcher had the ball in the circle regardless of the batter-runner??? Thanks for the help on this one.
Correct. And even once batter runner gets to first, the runner at third then just has to make a decision of what direction to go. If that decision is to go back to the bag, she can do it slowly. (She doesn’t have to rush back, she just has to be going back.)

When the defense makes a play on the batter runner between first and second, the runner at three is again free to move back down the line toward home and give the other runner some help.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2011
Correct. And even once batter runner gets to first, the runner at third then just has to make a decision of what direction to go. If that decision is to go back to the bag, she can do it slowly. (She doesn’t have to rush back, she just has to be going back.)

When the defense makes a play on the batter runner between first and second, the runner at three is again free to move back down the line toward home and give the other runner some he
For some reason I thought the two runners were independent. But, it makes sense that the ball is live until the batter-runner gets to first base...thanks!

Jan 31, 2011
The ball is ALWAYS live unless the Umpire calls time or dead ball
Maybe that was a bad choice of words. I agree with your statement. My confusion was if the ball is in the circle with the pitcher, and my runner on 3b has stopped her lead-off, I though she had to get back to the base even though the batter runner hadn't reached 1b yet on the walk...

The ball is still live on that play even if the batter runner rounds 1b going to 2nd, but then my runner on 3b needs to make a decision if the pitcher has the ball and does not make an attempt...

That is my understanding now.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478