Whats the going rate for hitting lessons now?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
In think the going rate is between $25-$60 per session whether its half or full hour. My advice is to try multiple instructors and settle in with the one you believe in the most. I've had to do my fair share of shopping here lately and you definitely get what you pay for. Just recently got done with an instructor who does "semiprivate" lessons. There were 30 girls in two cages all taking hacks at balls on tees while the instructor walked around or stood in the corner yelling random correction points.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Down here in Florida there are instructors for all aspects of the game that range from $25 to $120 per hour for individuals, $20-$50 per hour for small group (normally no more than 4) and from $100-$300 to run team practices (generally an hour or 90 minutes).

Quality ranges from awful to unbelievably-off-the-chart-good but almost all of them are busy. I know several instructors who I consider plain awful with lengthy waiting lists of players (parents) looking to learn (or not learn) sub-standard techniques.

I've paid $20 for unbelievable (unfortunately moved state) and as much as $100 for one awful/damaging session (still around locally ruining players).

Currently I am paying two different instructors:
- $40 for 30-min pitching (it is beyond good and 30 min is all my DD needs at this point)
- $50 for an hour of hitting (which is outstanding and under priced for what we get).

We go most, but not all weeks. It took 8 PC's and 5 hitting coaches before we found the combination that currently works for my DD.

Some things:

- To be very good they don't have to have played the game, but they have to be GREAT coaches and have to have an unbelievable appetite to research latest info. Passion for what they teach is a MUST.

- Ex-players are both good and bad at about the same rate as those who weren't players. Playing is not equal to coaching anything - you need experience in coaching as well. Just-out-of college and in-college players... eh... some good, most not experienced enough to teach technique to young players without assistance or coaching experience of some kind

- Ex-coaches of good programs are IN GENERAL more likely to be good ESPECIALLY from mid-level over-achieving programs. Not just college either. High School, travel, etc. Even from other sports occasionally. The ability to be able to effectively communicate and teach cannot be underestimated - it is THE most critical thing after having actual knowledge to communicate.

- Anyone who says they are teaching 'what they were taught' or 'have been teaching this for the past 20 years' is 99/100 not good. Current knowledge has moved on - you want someone who is at least looking at and considering new and current info regularly. You can't be bull-headed stubborn.

- Ex-student studs (i.e. So and so was with me and was a big star in college) are a great reference point BUT there have to be other relevant reference players as well. Many elite athletes are so elite they can overcome bad technique with pure talent (or are corrected in college or beyond). You need to see students that clearly over-achieved.

- Even if it sounds good, verify what they are teaching. Listen and do your own research. The easiest way to do this is to look up key phrases they use to instruct - I guarantee they got them somewhere and with the internet it is not hard to find out where.

- Your DD has to relate to them. Not be their friend necessarily, but there has to be rapport. Doesn't matter how good they are for someone else, sometimes it is just not for you.

** Note: The $100/hr disaster: See they coach one of the well known nationally recognized elite teams that players go to major colleges from. But he gets players BECAUSE of this, not because he knows anything himself. You know those D1 players you watch on TV and say things like "How did they get recruited to COLLEGEX when they can't even throw" - this could be one of his players. Elite athlete, elite talent overcoming poor instruction and techniques. People go to him due his 'history of success in getting players into college'.

Last edited:
May 4, 2014
So Cal
50 bucks an hour for one of the most qualified batting instructors in the nation... My biggest problem is finding time to take them to a lesson with all the practice and tourneys... You will find bigger bang for your buck by going to ex-players homes or part time instructors rather than the batting cage pros ... This is in So Cal... I'm sure the price will vary by region

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Marriard, thanks for your insight and informative post. We meet this instructor this afternoon at 6:00. We've never met before so this with be completely new for all of us. In my text to him I let him know that I was mostly interested in the mental approach to hitting. My DD can hit, but sometimes she's not the smartest batter in the box when we need her to be ! She's 13, she just made all conference in high school as a 8th grader and finished with the 2nd highest batting avg. on her team. She went from batting in the 9 hole at the start of the year (because she's in the 8th grade) to lead off and the last two games batted cleanup.

I guess my main concern tonight because he don't know her is that he will have her do all the mundane, routine things. Not that its not important but we can do tee work and drills at home. I am NOT a hitting instructor but like so many of you guys here I can spot and recognize a great stance, hand path, and great foot work. Front toss is my favorite drill to do with my DD and even with a screen I'm just trying not to die ! Its hard to watch her hit and keep from having a ball hit through me at the same time. I just hope they hit it off from the start the way my DD and the D1 player did. We'll see....

Jun 18, 2013
Handful, what do you mean quincy?

Not to speak for quincy, but in my opinion the worst kind of ball player's parent is the one that drops them off and doesn't pay any attention to what is being taught. I say that since you are paying for the instruction then you have every right to be involved in the process and to be sure that your DD is learning what you feel she should be learning and that she is happy with what she is getting out of it. If either one of you is unhappy in any way then you find a different instructor.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Not to speak for quincy, but in my opinion the worst kind of ball player's parent is the one that drops them off and doesn't pay any attention to what is being taught. I say that since you are paying for the instruction then you have every right to be involved in the process and to be sure that your DD is learning what you feel she should be learning and that she is happy with what she is getting out of it. If either one of you is unhappy in any way then you find a different instructor.

Not quite sure where you got the impression that I won't be paying any attention? I'm very involved in every aspect of her playing softball. Was it the mundane, routine comment? I only said that because this new instructor don't know my DD and may just want to establish a baseline to see what she can do. And if that's the case, so be it. But, again I'm very involved. I'm always reading and always trying to learn everything I can to help my DD improve.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It sounds like you are going to a hitting coach that is not allowed to change her swing, I would have a more opened mind with the whole thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keatonskidmore