Whats the going rate for hitting lessons now?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
$20 - $35 per half-hour. At $20, I'm expecting basic competence. At a buck a minute or more, I'm expecting somebody who played on a VERY high level, or they coached people on a very high level, and the results need to be spectacular. At some point, the dad needs to learn what a good swing looks like. They don't need to confuse their kids with all the excruciating detail and conflicting advice found in the hitting forums, but they need to be able to ID and fix flaws that inevitably develop in practice and games.

Funny how we pay people this much to teach our kids how to swing a bat, but I can easily find someone with a masters degree (or higher) in music to give my kids a private lesson for LESS than $20 per half-hour. To me, playing an instrument well is far more mysterious than hitting.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
i charge $125.00, for 6 forty five minute lessons, out doors.

I just looked, for 270 minutes of lessons at 2 different places in town here (9 30 minute sessions) would be $550, unless you wanted one specific coach, he charges another $20 per lesson! I know girls that have gone to him, they are all average hitters at best!

Jun 18, 2013

Man, I wish I was in AZ.

Around here, since I have a membership at a local indoor hitting facility with my DD we get a discounted rate with a hitting coach of $30 per half hour or $50 per hour. That is on top of the $30 per month that we pay to use the facility. Without the membership it is $40 per half hour and $65 per hour. They offer discounts for buying bulk packages of lessons, but nothing terribly substantial. I am currently my DD's hitting coach. We are going to stay that way for a little while longer but might have to jump to a professional soon since she is starting to outgrow me.

Jun 18, 2013
$20 - $35 per half-hour. At $20, I'm expecting basic competence. At a buck a minute or more, I'm expecting somebody who played on a VERY high level, or they coached people on a very high level, and the results need to be spectacular. At some point, the dad needs to learn what a good swing looks like. They don't need to confuse their kids with all the excruciating detail and conflicting advice found in the hitting forums, but they need to be able to ID and fix flaws that inevitably develop in practice and games.

Funny how we pay people this much to teach our kids how to swing a bat, but I can easily find someone with a masters degree (or higher) in music to give my kids a private lesson for LESS than $20 per half-hour. To me, playing an instrument well is far more mysterious than hitting.

My DS's guitar lessons have been pretty close to the same price as my DD's private coaching that we have done thus far for softball. Granted, he goes to one of the best guitar teachers you will likely ever find since the guy has multiple number one country songs and a Grammy award.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014

I've always been skeptical of what can be accomplished in terms of teaching a kid how to hit or pitch in 30 minutes. I might have my kid hit for only a half-hour, but that's when she's doing it right, and we're not having to stop and fix something. 45 minutes to an hour seems much more realistic in terms of teaching and reinforcing. My kid goes to a pitching lesson that is nominally a half-hour, but it's combined with a team mate, so it goes a full hour. Although she's not throwing the full hour, she's hearing and watching the other kid as they take turns.

longball00

Softball is my obsession
Apr 8, 2014
Willoughby, Ohio
Wow! I feel pretty lucky. I pay a former NPF coach $10/hr for my DD. But, it probably helps that we have been friends for a long time :) We chose him because he teaches the same technique that I have taught her since she picked up a bat. When she got to that age where she no longer wanted to listen to Dad, it was time to bring her to someone else, and he fit the bill.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
My DS's guitar lessons have been pretty close to the same price as my DD's private coaching that we have done thus far for softball. Granted, he goes to one of the best guitar teachers you will likely ever find since the guy has multiple number one country songs and a Grammy award.

Was the hitting coach a top performing hitter in college or the pros? If not, it appears that the guitar teacher is way more qualified, yet he charges about the same. I see plenty of "batting coaches" around here that run travel ball teams or who played at the local state college, moonlight with hitting lessons. Noting at all wrong with that, but people pay a bunch of money for something that isn't nearly as hard to learn as a musical instrument.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I know of at least 1 of our players that goes to a former player’s house and they work in the garage or park if it is nice out. Her rates are in-line with Amy’s, no overhead.

Player needs to stop going, she knocked DD down in the batting order.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TPop