What's the call

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
MIB, yes I know when the basepath is established, the question I will have for the interpreter is this: If a runner goes BEYOND the base in a continuing play (think overslide at 2B) does the path end at 3 feet past the bag and going further is out of the path, or does it continue an indefinite length past. In the video in the OP the runner goes off to the side so not really applicable here. As for your other point, my instructors have always said any part of the body staying in the path qualifies, so a slide very wide is ok if the hand stay within the 3 feet.

If the fielder continues with a tag attempt i.e. follows the runner with the glove, then I feel the basepath does NOT reset, it is still a continuing play on the runner. Now, when the C looked away THAT ended the play and would reset the basepath.

It is ALWAYS the space to either side of a line between the runner and the base. Once the runner passes the base, the line extends back the other way to the base. "Forward/backward" does not apply.

As for what constitutes the end of one tag and/or the start of another, I can't provide a good argument one way or the other -- that's another judgment call. Chasing with the glove out, IMO, is not a tag. I can see how somebody might think differently though.

IMO, a tag is an imminent touch. I always use a rundown as the best example ... I may be three feet behind you with my glove outstretched, that doesn't make it a tag yet. Once distance is closed and we have a possible "intersection point" (runner and glove/ball) we have a tag. Your mileage may vary. ;)

Aug 1, 2019
MN
The question is this, and I am not sure about the answer, so will be calling the rules interpreter on Monday. Does the established basepath extend indefinitely past the base/plate or just 3 feet? In other words does she have only 3 feet side to side but more than that for an over-run/overslide? Will post what I find out
I'll be curious for this answer too, but think of this scenario: Runner barrels home, doesn't slide, avoids the tag attempt, doesn't step on home plate. Her momentum carries her half-way to the dugout when she turns around and hustles back to step on home before the catcher realizes the problem. The runner went way past three feet beyond the plate, but no one's going to call her out for being out of the basepath, are they?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I'll be curious for this answer too, but think of this scenario: Runner barrels home, doesn't slide, avoids the tag attempt, doesn't step on home plate. Her momentum carries her half-way to the dugout when she turns around and hustles back to step on home before the catcher realizes the problem. The runner went way past three feet beyond the plate, but no one's going to call her out for being out of the basepath, are they?
As described, there is probably nothing to call.
As long as she avoided the initial tag attempt legally within the 3' limits, once there is no further attempt to tag the runner is once again entitled to take whatever path they like to the base they want to go to.

So the decision is she past one of the defined limits while the tag was trying to be made... but once they are no longer trying to tag the runner, everything resets.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
It is ALWAYS the space to either side of a line between the runner and the base. Once the runner passes the base, the line extends back the other way to the base. "Forward/backward" does not apply.

As for what constitutes the end of one tag and/or the start of another, I can't provide a good argument one way or the other -- that's another judgment call. Chasing with the glove out, IMO, is not a tag. I can see how somebody might think differently though.

IMO, a tag is an imminent touch. I always use a rundown as the best example ... I may be three feet behind you with my glove outstretched, that doesn't make it a tag yet. Once distance is closed and we have a possible "intersection point" (runner and glove/ball) we have a tag. Your mileage may vary. ;)

It's good to see that my interpretation of this particular play is pretty much in line with all the umps here.

1) The only time you might call her out is on that initial tag attempt (also, I think she actually might have tagged her!). I tend to think she was NOT out of the 3' limit though.

2) If we can agree she a) was not tagged and b) did not go more than 3' in her avoidance of the tag, then nothing subsequently should lead to her being called out. At no point did the catcher attempt another tag (until the dive to the plate). Standing there dancing back and forth is not an attempt.

TMIB, I'm trying to decide how I feel about what you feel constitutes a tag. It sounds like you're saying a "tag attempt" must include the possibility of actually, you know, tagging her. I think this is correct, though in the example you gave it can get a bit cloudy. If I'm watching that rundown, even if the runner is slightly ahead of the outstretched glove, I'm probably calling her out if she veers to the right or left beyond the three feet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802