WHAT WINS GAMES

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

what wins games

• More Hits

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Less Errors

Votes: 27 52.9%
  • Too Hard Of A Question:)

Votes: 11 21.6%

• Total voters

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
View attachment 23650
9 runs for Team USA. This Grinch says: Stink/stank/stunk.

View attachment 23651
Team USA had the lowest ERA. Japan was third.

Team USA committed 3 errors during the games, Japan committed none.

But Wait! There’s more!

Team USA committed one error while playing Japan. But it was during the game Team USA won.

I still think Team USA needed to score more runs. I’m also not convinced that there were not players out there that would be offensively dangerous as well as effective on defense. I really don’t want to discuss individual players.
Check out the BB #'s compaired to hits.
How many of those are a contribution to runs?!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I keep bare bones defensive stats
E-Throwing, E-Fielding, A, P O, PB, per player and totaled for team.
So no defensive reflective #?

Could be a good goal inscentive for players/team.
In that same way people generally 'itemize' hitting performance with stats.

The mental difference between saying lets not have errors.
And saying
👉Lets grow our defensive averages!

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Good post! 👆
intersting 5 runs to win.
How many accumulative hits only would this take?

What i notice is there is a measurable amount of baserunners that dont come from base hits in most every game.
Perhaps a stats person has accumulated that % to share.

There is another good question for DFP in Traps#2 notation~
Fielding % of atleast .960
(is a MUCH higher # than hitting averages)
*Does that mean its more critical?
Perhaps in doing the #'s compairison to being at bat.
Batters can compensate for better pitchers using small ball.
But the defense still has the challenge of completing the play.

👉How many people/coaches actually keep defensive stats?!!!
team & individual~
Who does?
Should have added I also keep Pitching stats

Games Played, Games Started, Games completed, Innings pitched, Hits, Runs, Earned Runs, HBP, BB, K swinging, K looking, WP, ERA, WHip, Balls, Strikes, P/I, W, L., Saves, Batters faced with 2 outs.

Apr 12, 2019
Even though I’m still going to stick with the hitting side of things, I definitely see, and understand what you’re saying!

I said here recently that we hosted a JMU camp at our organizations facility, Mickey Dean, and I quote, said ”pitchers don’t win games…..pitchers lose games!”

Not quite sure I’m on board with his philosophy here, but I can somewhat get what he’s saying. He was a huge hit with the pitchers that day! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Your money ball theory…..I can shoot it down pretty quickly, why did the Braves only win the 1995 World Series with that insane pitching staff?? How often does a Maddux-Smoltz-Glavine-Avery combination come along on the same roster?? And they were together what, 5, 6, 7 years? And got one WS out of it, why?

Serious question, why just one World Series from arguably the best pitching staff ever? Tons of NL Pennants are great, but…..

You lost me here or maybe you see Moneyball as an exercise in outspending one's opponents. Moneyball is more commonly recognized as using data, specifically OBP and OBS for making lineup decisions.
Back to softball pitching. It's not baseball pitching. You win a lot of games with one shutdown pitcher and with two, you'll win almost all of them...think about it...

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
So no defensive reflective #?

Could be a good goal inscentive for players/team.
In that same way people generally 'itemize' hitting performance with stats.

The mental difference between saying lets not have errors.
And saying
👉Lets grow our defensive averages!
GameChanger compiles basic defensive stats, including fielding percentage by player and for the team overall. It's garbage in/garbage out, but if you have a competent and consistent scorekeeper, it can provide you with useful data. Unfortunately for my DD (a P), we have yet to play on a team with close to a .960+ fielding percentage...LOL

ETA: Fielding Percentage also does not capture non-routine plays that should have nevertheless been made.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
You lost me here or maybe you see Moneyball as an exercise in outspending one's opponents. Moneyball is more commonly recognized as using data, specifically OBP and OBS for making lineup decisions.
Back to softball pitching. It's not baseball pitching. You win a lot of games with one shutdown pitcher and with two, you'll win almost all of them...think about it...
But how many teams have one shutdown pitcher (presumably high K rate per IP), let alone two?

Apr 12, 2019
Should have added I also keep Pitching stats

Games Played, Games Started, Games completed, Innings pitched, Hits, Runs, Earned Runs, HBP, BB, K swinging, K looking, WP, ERA, WHip, Balls, Strikes, P/I, W, L., Saves, Batters faced with 2 outs.

What about FPS? The more I pay attention, the more I think this may be the most overlooked stat.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
It’s a movie, right? ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802