what is west coast style hitting ?????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Two things I can't stand:
Coaches that want to change successful hitters/pitchers/players into their new and improved perfected model. I think its a little egoistic or stupid to think you (coach) can fix/ change a successful 17 year olds hitting style or major mechanical flaw you percieve. I mean she had to be successful enough for you to recruit her.. I personally like slow to fast (non rushed) approach but not all hitters are the same.Compare Donaldson and Bergman. One of them must be must be totally wrong. NOT. Stop the cookie cutter teachings.Some hitters have amazing short swings and quick twitch speed. They go from a statue to bomb in a twinkle of the eye. Swing are kind of like personal. If they are successful leave them alone or recruit players that fit your model.
I am not say little tweaks or suggestion should be tried but let's not let your ego turn a 400 hitter into a 200 hitter.

May 11, 2014
Actually heard this used last week for the first time. Talked about how Oklahoma has perfected it. Not sure what that means.
Tripp Mackay would have been the hitting coach in 2008(doesn't seem 14 years ago), not sure how much the mechanics have changed between he and Gasso but im curious as to what they perfected

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Two things I can't stand:
Coaches that want to change successful hitters/pitchers/players into their new and improved perfected model. I think its a little egoistic or stupid to think you (coach) can fix/ change a successful 17 year olds hitting style or major mechanical flaw you percieve. I mean she had to be successful enough for you to recruit her.. I personally like slow to fast (non rushed) approach but not all hitters are the same.Compare Donaldson and Bergman. One of them must be must be totally wrong. NOT. Stop the cookie cutter teachings.Some hitters have amazing short swings and quick twitch speed. They go from a statue to bomb in a twinkle of the eye. Swing are kind of like personal. If they are successful leave them alone or recruit players that fit your model.
I am not say little tweaks or suggestion should be tried but let's not let your ego turn a 400 hitter into a 200 hitter.

Bregman is the perfect model for a tight sequence. Happens quick, it’s not a complicated swing. But, I put one kid on a Utee with a tight sequence and she struggled with the rhythm of the pendulum. She is a good hitter, just struggled with the rhythm and timing of that rhythm/pendulum. Also, another hitter is a stride into no stride and loves the Utee. She wanted one after the first time.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Bregman is the perfect model for a tight sequence. Happens quick, it’s not a complicated swing. But, I put one kid on a Utee with a tight sequence and she struggled with the rhythm of the pendulum. She is a good hitter, just struggled with the rhythm and timing of that rhythm/pendulum. Also, another hitter is a stride into no stride and loves the Utee. She wanted one after the first time.
utee?????