What is the procedure a catcher should follow to appeal to the field ump on a checked swing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
What Mmeece says above. If there isn't an up on the baseline (and we rarely have one on first and third) there isn't much use in asking for an appeal. But if there is, my catchers have been told to ask PU "can I get an appeal? (while pointing to the ump)". If they don't get a response on more than one occasion (and not over used), they have been told to lift their mask, make eye contact with their coach and shrug shoulders. It's about as direct you can get without showing up the PU.

Oct 16, 2019
Chances are good that your catcher has already had a few conversations with the PU, so politely asking, either face to face or looking forward, should not be a problem. When I was doing NFHS baseball, my partner and I always had a pre-game conference where we would discuss this very issue. It was always, "wait for me to ask before you say if they went or not, and when I do ask, don't hesitate to over rule me if I was wrong"

Feb 13, 2021
MI
I wonder if the issue could sometimes be what position the field ump is in? If he is in C slot (behind SS area) there isn't much point in a plate umpire asking if a RH batter went. He can't see it any better than the plate ump in that situation.

This is precisely why it is not REQUIRED in NFHS to ask for help. Many time, the PU has the best/only reasonable look at a checked swing. That being said, unless a team is ALWAYS asking me to go for help even on check swings that are 'no-brainers' I will always go for help if the C asks me to do so.

I trust my partner to agree with what I called unless I obviously missed it, and if he/she is inside at B or C they really don't have a good enough look to overturn me initial call anyway.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I don't really care how a cather asks. If they ask and there is any doubt in my mind, I am happy to ask my partner. They have no opinion until asked (and should have no opinion to share with anyone but their partner if not asked)

I am also going to ask without help a lot of times.

Unless it was 100% clear there was no swing, I will go to my partner. If there was clearly no swing, I wi just tell the catcher that.

I disagree that it is not worth asking if the BU is not in the ideal position to see. As BU I am looking for the flash of the end of the bat as the BU in good position. Looking at bat angle in bad position... not ideal of course but you can still catch the obvious ones. Note: not looking at wrists.