What happened to ASA/USA Gold Nationals?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
There are SO many summer leagues for college baseball players...at one point after my freshmen year I was playing in 3 wood bat leagues at the same time. Surprising there are so few options for college softball. Do some college aged girls just not play all summer and just workout instead?

There are some 23u tournaments throughout the northeast as well as some small leagues. But I have not seen anything on the level of baseball. DD took this summer off due to injury but was planning to play 23u. Her college teammates are split. Approximately 30% are playing while the others are just working out. Some simply follow the summer workout plan provided by the coach while others add to it.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
MN teams used to fly out to that NJ qualifier to pick up their PGF berths. There were only a handful of teams and even if they didn’t win one the NJ teams other than Intensity didn’t want it so it got handed down.

Yes, the NJ qualifier is the one I mentioned that is straight double-elimination with no pool play.

Nov 18, 2013
Yes, the NJ qualifier is the one I mentioned that is straight double-elimination with no pool play.

I thought we played pool games. This about six years ago though and I'm getting old so who knows. lol

Jun 14, 2018
I would really like to bring PGF's to the St. Louis area with maybe even having a qualifier for them. I have done some talking and just can not get enough local clubs interested in the big outside teams coming in to make it worth it.

May 29, 2015
I would really like to bring PGF's to the St. Louis area with maybe even having a qualifier for them. I have done some talking and just can not get enough local clubs interested in the big outside teams coming in to make it worth it.

I’ve been told PGF has gained traction to the north of us (Peoria and up) and in surrounding states (Indiana). I think if you approached it the other way, you’d turn it all right: put on the tournament and I’m willing to bet you’d have no trouble attracting outside teams which will eventually lead local teams to be interested.

One area you may run into problems is finding umpires. Since each org requires umpires to register (and undergo various other requirements), umpires are very reluctant to spend another $60 - $100 to register plus buy more shirts/hats/ball bags — especially if it is only going to be for one tournament.

I don’t know how much support PGF provides in trying to “break into” areas. I know we had USSSA trying to come into Central IL this year, but it didn’t seem as if they offered much support. (Almost seemed as if they were just looking for an umpire pool to poach for other areas.)

If you decide to go forward, let me know! I’d be interested in learning a bit more and possibly helping out. One thing that I like about PGF is that they essentially use NFHS rules.

Jun 14, 2018
I’ve been told PGF has gained traction to the north of us (Peoria and up) and in surrounding states (Indiana). I think if you approached it the other way, you’d turn it all right: put on the tournament and I’m willing to bet you’d have no trouble attracting outside teams which will eventually lead local teams to be interested.

One area you may run into problems is finding umpires. Since each org requires umpires to register (and undergo various other requirements), umpires are very reluctant to spend another $60 - $100 to register plus buy more shirts/hats/ball bags — especially if it is only going to be for one tournament.

I don’t know how much support PGF provides in trying to “break into” areas. I know we had USSSA trying to come into Central IL this year, but it didn’t seem as if they offered much support. (Almost seemed as if they were just looking for an umpire pool to poach for other areas.)

If you decide to go forward, let me know! I’d be interested in learning a bit more and possibly helping out. One thing that I like about PGF is that they essentially use NFHS rules.

I have reached out to a few local ball parks and have requested open dates for late May and June. My wife and I are really looking into trying to pull something together to see what we get. If all goes well I would like to try and do 3-4 tournaments a year in the area especially with the SportsPlex opening in a year or so.

I think my hardest thing will be umpires, UIC, and tournament director (DD would play in it so I don't want to be that person)

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
I just wish nationals meant something. If it is about competition make teams qualify. If it's about money send everyone an invite that will write a check.

If PGF wants 200 teams for nationals have more qualifiers but make teams earn their spot. In 2014 we had to earn our spot for ASA 10U Nationals in Johnson City, TN. Even the teams that went out 0-2 in bracket were quality teams. They had beaten good teams to get there. ALl of the orgs have gotten away from that now and it is kind of sad looking back at how things were.

Apr 20, 2015
Teams that get given a bid to pgf are all quality teams that kick *ss at their local qualifiers on a more often than not basis. By giving a certain # of bids to these teams it allows more teams to win qualifiers and earn their way without traveling all over to do it. There isn't a team at pgf that isn't quality. Sure there are teams that are as good at asa gold that chose not to attend pgf but there is nobody that's a dog in California.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28