What does your HS provide?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
So much has changed over the decades in regards to what is provided versus what the student has to pay for. As as student all I needed was a glove (and cleats)... basketball you needed shoes... the same for football. From my perspective sports are becoming more exclusive year by year. An example of this is my DDs high school. Tens of thousands raised on the backs of player fundraising. Why does a high school team need that kind of money - seems excessive ?

The only thing I require of players is a glove and cleats, and we have a bunch of team gloves players can use until they get their own. We currently have no fees*, and the only monetary contribution they need to make is to sell a single box of candy.

One thing I forgot in my first response: Every new HS player gets a sweatshirt with their name/number on the back once they sell that first box of candy. We essentially break even on fundraising for that player that first year (unless they opt to sell more), but our fundraising is mostly so I can get us a fancy new bat each year or for some of those extra goodies since the school is good about paying for the stuff we really need.

May 4, 2016
School provides 2 jerseys, 2 pants, 3 pair socks, windbreaker, helmet, and bag. Returned after end of season. Player provide cleats, gloves, bats. Unfortunately required to use schools catchers gear. Buy 2 tshirts for practice. School has a $75 pay to play fee. Some fundraising.

May 20, 2015
we have a $20 per sport fee........capped at $60 per family per year (I think?) or $40 per student athlete.......so it is minimal, and it is prorated for those receiving free or reduced lunch

Jul 12, 2017
MI
Pay to play is $140 per sport with a family maximum of $525 per year. DD plays volleyball and basketball too, so $420 for the 3 school sports this year.

Mar 6, 2016
WOW..I wish we only had to pay what many of you are paying.

Here in So Calif. - $600 "donation" + fundraising + $300-500 banner sales from local businesses = 2 practice shirts, 1 old used game jersey, 1 pair pants, 2 pairs socks and 1 old used catcher bag. :rolleyes: EVERY year (JV or Varsity both are the same)

We also had to get Easton helmet with school colors and all white cleats any brand.

Jul 14, 2018
We created an incentive program involving little logo stickers. Above and beyond performance earns players a sticker. Reach a certain sticker threshold and you get one of those items. "Above and beyond" can be a great play in a game, an excellent practice, winning an end-of-practice competition, etc. It's typically decided by coaches, though there have been times where a player did something and other players said she deserves a sticker for it.

Love this, do they wear the stickers on their helmets? I’m picturing four-year varsity seniors with a massive constellation of stickers, like an Ohio State football player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD's private school provided shirts and pants, helmet and catchers gear along with a few bats. Those that played travel ball brought their own gloves and bats.

May 27, 2013
Oh I forgot - our coach did purchase 3 Ghosts 2 years ago for team use if they wanted. There is catcher’s gear which is only 2 years old, as well, but our catcher has her own.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Love this, do they wear the stickers on their helmets? I’m picturing four-year varsity seniors with a massive constellation of stickers, like an Ohio State football player.

Ohio State football inspired the idea, but nobody's put them on their helmets yet.

Some of our girls have their own helmets, but most use our team helmets, so it wouldn't quite work for a lot of them. I'm still waiting for the first girl to try it.

Jan 28, 2017
3 full sets of uniforms other than cleats. Team jacket and bat bag was provided for them this year but I think this was from parents. Equipment is great but not real sure what's provided. Most of our girls play TB and have their on stuff. We have raised probably close to 20.000 this season which is unbelievable for such a small school. Have great kids and parents that have been involved throughout. 16 of our 18 players are 9th or 10th graders and with COVID it's life 16 freshman. New helmets also.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28