What does your DD/Player do to improve?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2012
I have a DD who is going to be a sophomore in HS next year and just came off of her freshman season and in going into her travel ball season soon. She is currently a mid to lower 50's mph pitcher, pitched JV and missed the K record in JV by 2 k's this year and had a no hitter. Now myself, my wife (she was a pitcher also) and her coaches tell her she would be so much better if she would work harder. Her work ethic is lazy, when she pitches with her pitching coach once a week or less, is the only time she works at it, we tell her she would throw more during the week, I can catch her, her older sister catches so that's not a problem.

I guess what I'm asking is what does your DD do to help her improve her craft, does she pitch on off days, workout at the gym, run for endurance? Just getting some other views to show my DD on what other pitchers do to excel in their craft.

Thanks for any responses.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Maybe she really doesn't want to pitch. I have found that those that really want to go to the next level will have the internal drive to practice a lot on their own. A few years ago there was a local HS pitcher who was/is very good, Pitcher of the Year, Gatoraid Player of the Year, so on and so on. Went to a D1 School (She played her last game last week). For 2 years while we were practicing at the HS, I would see her at least 3 times a week working out during the Off Season.

Ask her.... Don't know where your from, but there is a huge difference between JV and Varsity.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My DD#1 was a D1 pitcher. She pitched 3 to 4 times a week for 9 months of the year from the time she was 12. She would practice for 60 to 90 minutes. When she was your DD's age, at the end of her practice you could wring the sweat out of her t-shirt.

Your DD is probably a wonderful child. Your DD is not lazy. I She just doesn't want to be a *good* pitcher. Everyone makes choices, and she had made hers.

Jul 26, 2010
When mine was 12 she was lazy. I had her agree to and sign a contract that stipulated practice time and grades. Failure to maintain the agreement resulted in penalties such as loosing phone and computer privileges. There were small rewards for maintaining or surpassing the agreement. If she went two weeks in violation pitching lessons stopped completely.

You're throwing your money away on lessons if she doesn't practice.

-W

May 25, 2012
These are great replies, this is the stuff I want her to hear and understand. She says she wants to pitch and really enjoys it, plus she would love to play past HS. We try to explain to her that it does take practice on your own just not pitching in a game or one day a week with your pitching coach. Thanks for the replies and keep them coming.

May 13, 2012
We try to explain to her that it does take practice on your own just not pitching in a game or one day a week with your pitching coach. .

I have been preaching this for over a yr know. Doesn't sink in. Sometimes I think and agree "Everyone makes choices, and she had made hers." Then I think she is young and I should push her hoping it doesn't bite me and she thanks me later. Sometimes I think its a no win.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
As I've said before, sometimes I would have to drag DD#1 out to pitch. But, when she got going at practice, she was nothing but business.

Feb 22, 2013
My dd is a Ham. She loves pitching where other people can see her and where she can put on a show. She loves the comments that people make to her as they walk by. During the softball season, we usually steal the lights coming off of the baseball or softball fields. Post season, end of summers and fall, she throws at the parks where we pitch and picnic. She likes to pitch, but she loves to put on a show.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
I think the key thing that you said that stuck out to me is she "missed the K record in JV by 2 k's this year and had a no hitter". She probably does not see the need to work more than what she is doing now because she is being successful. My 12U DD can get away will missing the corner and putting it right down the middle and striking someone out at her level. I stress to her hitters and fielders get better as she gets older and what works now will not work as the competition gets better. Therefore, she has to continue to work to get better.

How do you think your DD would respond to better competition? Would she crumble or would she fight to get better? Perhaps looking for opportunities in TB for her to face better competition may be a way to motivate her and see the need to work to improve?

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Djanvk,
Our dd's are very similar in speed and are the same age. Mine wants to pitch every day but refuses to run, lift, or do core workouts. So after a good warm up and some drills, we throw about 150 balls (variety of pitches and locations) on average of 4-5 days a week and that's it. I think if she would work on core strengthening exercises and some more lunges and squats, her speed would get closer to the high 50's or low 60 mph mark she wants...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802