what do college coaches prefer

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2016
What has more of an impact on a college coach a skills video or highlights video? Or foregoing either and attending camps?

Dec 20, 2012
What has more of an impact on a college coach a skills video or highlights video? Or foregoing either and attending camps?

Skills video. They show multiple reps so they see consistent form used in making routine plays. Much easier to see good mechanics than a highlight film of making very good plays that may or may not be the usual for the player.

Nov 18, 2013

I wouldn't forgo a skills video, but camps have the biggest impact. There's no editing and the coaches can see their effort and attitude warming up or between drills.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

I would like to point out that a skills video does not have to be expensive or professionally done to be effective. Anyone with a smart phone and a computer can download free video editing software and put one together. College coaches are looking for the skills of the player, not the skills of the video editor...search for skills videos on Youtube and make notes of what you like and do not like. Note camera angles for different shots. Avoid the temptation to dub in music, coaches like to hear the sound of the bat and gloves popping! Keep it short (less than 5 min) and remember that you have @ 45 seconds to catch the coaches attention and get them to watch the rest of the video.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
I would like to point out that a skills video does not have to be expensive or professionally done to be effective. Anyone with a smart phone and a computer can download free video editing software and put one together. College coaches are looking for the skills of the player, not the skills of the video editor...search for skills videos on Youtube and make notes of what you like and do not like. Note camera angles for different shots. Avoid the temptation to dub in music, coaches like to hear the sound of the bat and gloves popping! Keep it short (less than 5 min) and remember that you have @ 45 seconds to catch the coaches attention and get them to watch the rest of the video.

Something I hear consistently from coaches is put what you do well first in the video. So if you hit well that should be first as they often times don't watch all the video.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Something I hear consistently from coaches is put what you do well first in the video. So if you hit well that should be first as they often times don't watch all the video.

Absolutely. College quality skills first - it is what you believe you immediately bring to the program.

Mar 26, 2016

In regards to the videos, when making them, then would you suggest slowing it down for a couple swings?

What angles would be the best?

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
In regards to the videos, when making them, then would you suggest slowing it down for a couple swings?

What angles would be the best?

In regards to slowing it down I have been given the advice not to slowmo videos as it can potentially highlight flaws in swing, pitch mechanics etc. I would think the coach could slow down any portion they need to or want to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802