What can you do with a hitter with quick hands, a good swing, but can't time a ball up to save her life??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
My opinion, without video, is that no drill will correct this without understanding where the breakdown is in her process. Watching, recording, and reviewing to see what she's doing is the start. Then, work from the bottom up. If the foundation isn't good, so is the same for anything built on it.

My DD from 10u-12u was a very consistent and strong hitter. But, she was playing at the C-level. She benefited from slower pitching and weak defenses. High fly balls wouldn't get caught in the OF, and hard grounders would eat infielders up. However, her load and stride were not good. She would always dump her weight on the front leg and be forced to pull the trigger. Resulting in being early and god forbid a pitcher threw something off-speed. If I was the opposing coach/pitcher, I'd just throw changeups at her all game.

When she joined a first year 14u B program, she started striking out more, more foul balls, and a lot of pop-flys. I mean, A LOT. She's short (5' 2"), strong, and has fast hands. Her issue, has been in the bottom half. Finally, due to her increasing struggles at the plate, she's been willing and wanting to work. She's sort of hard headed that way. The last few months she's been willing to adjust her load, stride, and practice process to correct some issues. While, far from perfect, she's already seen positive results in her timing and better contact. But it's a process that will take a long time and she (and I) have to be patient.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The college World Series was talking about a ‘position of power’ and not dumping posture; as Mendoza put it.. I totally agree. Be in a position to get into a position when needed(most important). Barry was/is the best at that imo.

1654888961814.gif

Reactions: TDS
May 9, 2019
You want her to quit because you can't stand to see her struggle? Your priorities are in the wrong order. This is her game, not yours.

This doesn't sound like a player with a good swing. A good swing includes the ability to adjust timing and be reactive. There also may be a misunderstanding about when her swing process should get started. Without video, everyone is just guessing. My guess is that she is starting her pre-launch process too late.
You always toss out judgemental remarks to people who you don't know and is looking for help?

May 9, 2019
You need to change up her drills. A drill I like to do. Set up 3 plates space about 2 feet apart. Start at the normal plate for 5 pitches. Have her move up to the next plate-5 pitches. Move up to the closest plate-5 pitches. Then move backwards. Make sure to whip the ball in at the same speeds. No wimpy rainbow toss. This will trick her mind and she will have to make the adjustments based on timing the ball's arrival. Give it a try and see what happens.
Thank you. We did this for a week and she actually did a lot better last toruney.

Aug 20, 2017
She is early in slow pitches and late in fast ones. Basically she is guessing
This is the problem. Do this drill on front toss. As soon as you pull the ball back to pitch to her have her load, stride and swing. Make sure she swings at your pitch release. Help her control everything leading up to swinging at release. Not trying to hit the ball.

May 9, 2019
This is the problem. Do this drill on front toss. As soon as you pull the ball back to pitch to her have her load, stride and swing. Make sure she swings at your pitch release. Help her control everything leading up to swinging at release. Not trying to hit the ball.

Will try this cb thanks

Aug 20, 2017
Will try this cb thanks
Bottom line is at her age you eliminate being late. Tell her that’s the one thing that can never cause her to miss. Be ok with her swinging at bad pitches and probably getting herself out. Train her body to beat the ball to the spot every time. YES MODE. Swinging at EVERY pitch. Only decision is to stop swinging

May 24, 2013
So Cal
You always toss out judgemental remarks to people who you don't know and is looking for help?

Not always, but when they get self-centered as what you said, sometimes I do. Years ago, I was called out for a similar attitude, and it helped me change my perspective. Whether they struggle or succeed, this is their game, not ours. Learning how to battle though the difficult times is one of the life-lessons this game teaches.

I'm more than happy to share any knowledge I might have to help your DD find more success, but - as myself and others have said - without seeing video, it's guessing. It could be one thing. It could be multiple things. it could be a mental approach issue. It could be a physical issue.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28