Well I found it amusing.... ITB and opposition chanting during IBB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
So we were in a tiebreaker last weekend as visitor in a game that was already way intense with several lead changes, a couple of close calls and we needed a 2-out double in the last regular inning to tie it up.

ITB and we have our worst baserunner on (and no subs), and we manage to mess up the bunt/runner to 3rd to start the inning so in the end we didn't execute and don't get the run in...

Opposition come up to bat and execute the bunt well. 1 out, girl on 3rd and their 3&4 hitters coming up. So we decide to do the right thing and walk them to get to their #5 and have the force at home...

1st Intentional walk.... we are throwing WAY outside and they started up the "walk her, walk her" annoying chant. Yes.. that is clearly what we are doing..... Duh. Man they were loud....

2nd Intentional walk... on 2-0 the 'walk her' chants are getting WAY loud... but then the batter swings at the next pitch which is at least 2 foot off the plate. Then on 2-1 she somehow manages to reach a pitch even further out and fouls it off BUT steps on the plate to do so... and is called OUT. Much chaos as coaches come streaming out of the dugout. Parent make accusations of various kinds including that the umpires parents were not married. One of their AC's gets kicked out. They try to officially protest but since there is no rule to challenge (even they weren't saying she didn't step on the plate) they are turned down.

2 outs - and the #6 batter has been killing us this game, so we go after the #5 batter and she pops a change up to our 3rd base for the 3rd out. Opposition much quieter now.

And we go on to to win in the next inning.

Mar 1, 2013
12U tourney on Saturday - pitcher is throwing smoke with great movement. She gets the first two batters, so two outs, nobody on and an 8 run lead, she goes 0-2 on the next batter. Next pitch is below the knee just barely for a ball and even the offensive coach said, "that close, you gotta protect!" at his batter. The "lowrider" chant started with that. It's like Pavlov ringing the bell. Doesn't matter the overall situation, the chant goes. Next pitch is at the belt for a called three.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I encourage cheers / chants from the dugout, but won't tolerate anything that denigrates any opposing player or is deliberately intended to distract.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
2nd Intentional walk... on 2-0 the 'walk her' chants are getting WAY loud... but then the batter swings at the next pitch which is at least 2 foot off the plate. Then on 2-1 she somehow manages to reach a pitch even further out....

For a second there I was having flashbacks to Kelly Leak and the "Bad News Bears"....

Jun 11, 2013
I hated cheers at 10U hated them at 12U until we stopped. Move to 14U where they didn't cheer at all. Our new team though loves to cheer (came from rec). HC loves
them and since I've gotten most other changes I want I let it go, but it drives me nuts. They can remember 500 cheers, but most have no idea what the score is or how many outs we have.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Not that I am a fan of those canned chants... but I do find it amusing that 10-12 Chant - 14-18 No Chant - College - the Chants start again

Jun 18, 2013
Not that I am a fan of those canned chants... but I do find it amusing that 10-12 Chant - 14-18 No Chant - College - the Chants start again

I didn't realize that the chants stopped at 14. That's hilarious because they get loud and goofier in college.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TPop