Ways to improve as a coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 9, 2021
Any books or online classes that any of you have found helpful in your coaching careers? Just trying to keep working to improve as a coach, if I am going to expect the girls to work to improve also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Is there someone you know who could be a good mentor coach? I was so fortunate to have had a couple. I could name them. From there, I have tried to be a mentor to local coaches. It is not uncommon for me to get a call from someone asking questions or to meet to talk about this or that. IMO, a lot of coaches really enjoy sharing what they know. That is part of why I stay on this website and moderate two baseball websites.

Nov 9, 2021
Is there someone you know who could be a good mentor coach? I was so fortunate to have had a couple. I could name them. From there, I have tried to be a mentor to local coaches. It is not uncommon for me to get a call from someone asking questions or to meet to talk about this or that. IMO, a lot of coaches really enjoy sharing what they know. That is part of why I stay on this website and moderate two baseball websites.

I do have a few good coaches that I can harass with questions and ideas. Always watching how other successful coaches do things as well. Just looking for some books or classes to challenge how I look at things. I enjoy the different ideas discussed on here as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 17, 2012
I would suggest starting your own binder on everything from relays to lead offs, pitching, etc. When you encounter someone or some team that is doing it better, update your best practices.

My #1 tip would be to realize how little impact you have on the outcome of any particular game as a coach.

Focus on building your team and practices. The rest will take care of itself.

May 8, 2009
Florida

Join NFCA. Invaluable!
I couldn't agree more with both of these. It has helped me tremendously through the years.