Was This Triple Play Actually Not a Triple play?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
Triple Play?

I happened across this video and it shows a HS team pulling off what was called a triple play.

Watching the play I only have two outs. The runner on 2nd base was released from tagging up when the pitcher deflected the ball with her glove and did not catch it. The SS caught the deflected ball in the air, stepped on 2nd for the force out of the runner on 1st and then threw to 1st for the 2nd out. The runner on 2nd was never touched with ball by the SS.

Umpires.... Thoughts???

Jun 8, 2016
Triple Play?

I happened across this video and it shows a HS team pulling off what was called a triple play.

Watching the play I only have two outs. The runner on 2nd base was released from tagging up when the pitcher deflected the ball with her glove and did not catch it. The SS caught the deflected ball in the air, stepped on 2nd for the force out of the runner on 1st and then threw to 1st for the 2nd out. The runner on 2nd was never touched with ball by the SS.

Umpires.... Thoughts???
Not an umpire but I believe the runner needs to retouch the bag after the first fielder (pitcher in this case) touches the ball (and not the fielder who eventually catches it)

Jul 22, 2015
Triple Play?

Umpires.... Thoughts???
It's still a fly ball after the deflection because it never touched the ground, so both runners would have had to tag-up before advancing but were forced out before they did. I think what you are confusing is that the deflection changes the timing of the tag-up. The runner can tag and leave after the first touch of the ball even if it is deflected or juggled.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
as mmeece said, the catch is valid, the initial touch by the P was after R2 had left the bag so R2 still has to retouch. yes indeed triple play. The only correction I will make to mmeece is that the runners were not forced out but called out on live ball appeal for leaving early :p

Jul 22, 2015
as mmeece said, the catch is valid, the initial touch by the P was after R2 had left the bag so R2 still has to retouch. yes indeed triple play. The only correction I will make to mmeece is that the runners were not forced out but called out on live ball appeal for leaving early :p
The words matter! You are correct

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Yep triple play. The tag up can happen after the first touch, it is not negated by the fact that the ball was actually secured by a different player.

I was the ss in that exact play once. Off the pitchers glove touched second and threw to first.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I don't really blame the runner on second, but what the heck was the runner on first doing? She may not have had time to get back anyway, but she just kept on to second.

Jan 24, 2020
Triple Play?

Umpires.... Thoughts???
By your logic there would only have been the one out, on the catch, the runner from first would not be forced if the batter was already out. That said, definitely a triple play.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
It's definitely 3 outs. To win the state title with that play (in itself is amazing) is unbelievable.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802