Was the SEC overrated this year?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 5, 2016
I know that in the regionals and super regionals, upsets do happen, but the SEC is one game away from sending nobody to OKC this year. So, was that just a matter of probability or was the SEC a bit overrated this year?

Mar 4, 2015
New England
I know that in the regionals and super regionals, upsets do happen, but the SEC is one game away from sending nobody to OKC this year. So, was that just a matter of probability or was the SEC a bit overrated this year?

Probably a little bit. But there's so much parity now that random probability is as good an explanation as any. Mississippi State, the SEC's 10th-best team, beat out ACC champion Florida State to reach the Super Regionals. Florida, which was only 15-12 in conference play, might still get in the WCWS. Georgia, another lower-half SEC team, was up 5-1 in an elimination game vs. Duke but ran out of gas playing its 4th game in 24 hours. The SEC's depth IMO is as good or better than it's been, but it seems the SEC lacks those 'automatic' WCWS qualifiers (typically Alabama, Florida) that you think can win it all. But then, it seems that every conference is missing those dominant teams. Except for OU, of course.

May 27, 2013
My personal opinion is that SB has grown tremendously and college coaches are acknowledging that there is high level talent all over the country now, and not just in the West coast and South. Therefore, much more talent to recruit and the top teams can’t take everyone. This leads to top talent being spread more across other conferences.

Oct 14, 2019
You could insert ACC into your statement with the same effect. Except the ACC started with the #2 and #3 seeds. Too bad there won’t be any JMU’s this year.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Parity is often a sign that a sport is maturing. There is a rapidly increasing number of good players, allowing more teams to legitimately contend for conference titles or WCWS berths. This is despite the fact that that rosters are growing. Teams were winning national titles with 13 players 20 years ago. Now, teams have 20+ players, and there are still enough good players to go around to support dozens of pretty good college teams, not to mention new programs like Duke and Clemson that knocking on the door almost immediately.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I think it's more a case of they beat the hell out of one another in conference play leaving each other battered and bruised.

Alabama is in trouble if they think they can ride Fouts again like they did this year. Losing Kilfoyle hurts.

• Haha
Reactions: #10
Oct 14, 2019
Overrated 14 seed Gators win 12-0 in run rule romp over 2 time ACC pitcher of the year.

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I think it's more a case of they beat the hell out of one another in conference play leaving each other battered and bruised.

Alabama is in trouble if they think they can ride Fouts again like they did this year. Losing Kilfoyle hurts.

Battered and bruised??? It's softball. I thought playing the "best competition" made you better. :sneaky:

Some of these "top ranked" SEC teams couldn't even win their own regional.

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Battered and bruised??? It's softball. I thought playing the "best competition" made you better. :sneaky:

Some of these "top ranked" SEC teams couldn't even win their own regional.
There weren't many easy games in conference play, so when you have to overuse your top pitcher, and your #2 gets hurt and never recovered, your #1 ran out of gas.

Look at what with the USF Bulls. They used Corrick for 280+ innings, and she got hurt during either their conference tournament or regionals. Season over. Yes, I know they're not in the SEC, but that is what happens when you only have one dominant pitcher you trust.

And, look what happened to a top team in the ACC. Who had FSU getting bounced in regionals?

Oct 14, 2019
There weren't many easy games in conference play, so when you have to overuse your top pitcher, and your #2 gets hurt and never recovered, your #1 ran out of gas.

Look at what with the USF Bulls. They used Corrick for 280+ innings, and she got hurt during either their conference tournament or regionals. Season over. Yes, I know they're not in the SEC, but that is what happens when you only have one dominant pitcher you trust.

And, look what happened to a top team in the ACC. Who had FSU getting bounced in regionals?
Corrick should’ve transferred to Florida.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812