Walked hitter BOO next inning.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
Had this come up recently. Situation. 2 outs R1 on 3rd. 3-2 count on batter. The pitch is high for ball 4. The catcher tips the ball up and it lands behind her. R1 thinks it's further away than it was and takes off for home. Catcher recovers the ball in time and tags R1 out at home.

The following inning the same batter comes up to lead off the inning. I let her bat without saying anything and she gets a hit. I then point out to the umpire the batter was walked last inning on the last pitch of the inning. The umpire rules her out and the next batter in the lineup is allowed to bat.

The other team was claiming she only had a 3-2 count on her. We were home so we have the official book.

I want to be sure the umpire's decision was correct. The batters turn at bat was completed on the ball 4 pitch. The 3rd out of the inning was recorded on the play at the plate even though the batter moved out of the way of the play and never went down and touched 1st base.

Mar 2, 2013
Well, it depends. What rule set were you using? What do you mean by "the next batter in the lineup?"

Oct 24, 2010
Had this come up recently. Situation. 2 outs R1 on 3rd. 3-2 count on batter. The pitch is high for ball 4. The catcher tips the ball up and it lands behind her. R1 thinks it's further away than it was and takes off for home. Catcher recovers the ball in time and tags R1 out at home.

The following inning the same batter comes up to lead off the inning. I let her bat without saying anything and she gets a hit. I then point out to the umpire the batter was walked last inning on the last pitch of the inning. The umpire rules her out and the next batter in the lineup is allowed to bat.

The other team was claiming she only had a 3-2 count on her. We were home so we have the official book.

I want to be sure the umpire's decision was correct. The batters turn at bat was completed on the ball 4 pitch. The 3rd out of the inning was recorded on the play at the plate even though the batter moved out of the way of the play and never went down and touched 1st base.

The one who completed her at-bat by walking in the previous inning is an improper batter in the following inning. The proper batter is the one who follows her. That's the one that should be called out on proper appeal. Bring up the batter following that one.

Another way to look at it: R1 on 3rd; 2 out and B4 at-bat. B4 receives a base on balls but R1 is out attempting to score on the wild pitch/passed ball. In the following inning, B5 is the proper batter, but B4 bats again. When B4 gets a hit and is properly appealed, B4 is removed from the bases, B5 is out and B6 is the new batter. Clear as mud?

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
Another way to look at it: R1 on 3rd; 2 out and B4 at-bat. B4 receives a base on balls but R1 is out attempting to score on the wild pitch/passed ball. In the following inning, B5 is the proper batter, but B4 bats again. When B4 gets a hit and is properly appealed, B4 is removed from the bases, B5 is out and B6 is the new batter. Clear as mud?

Throwing a what if out there looking to learn something.

This was playing ASA rule set.

So if B4 was retired then B5 would also be out for being an improper batter once B5 completed her at bat if she got on base? Now I would have two outs recorded and B6 would now become the proper batter in the lineup. Or would B5 now become the proper batter when B4 was retired with no appeal from me?

I can see the bottom of this mud pit. :)

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2010
Throwing a what if out there looking to learn something.

This was playing ASA rule set.

So if B4 was retired then B5 would also be out for being an improper batter once B5 completed her at bat if she got on base? I would have two outs recorded and B6 would now become the proper batter in the lineup. Or would B5 now become the proper batter when B4 was retired with no appeal from me?

I can see the bottom of this mud pit. :)

ASA changed their rule for 2013. ASA previously kept all outs including one made by the batter-runner. Now ASA keeps the outs on the bases but not on the batter-runner. So, in your situation, if B4 is thrown out in the new inning, you have a choice: Appeal the BOO, negating B4's out, getting an out on B5, and bringing B6 to bat, or, keep quiet about B4 making an out as an improper batter and face B5.

... Or would B5 now become the proper batter when B4 was retired with no appeal from me?
One pitch to B5 legalizes B4 and B5 is now the proper batter.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog