Waivering players down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 28, 2020
Have any of you heard of a tourney director allowing waivers of kids down into lower age classes? My daughter’s 8u team played a machine pitch tournament today, against the host team. The host team had 2 10-year olds. When challenged by our coach, they didn’t even deny it, instead they argued that it was ok because the tourney director signed a waiver for them. Without getting into the insanity of needing to bring 10-year olds in to play against 7 and 8 year olds, is this allowed anywhere?

Jan 22, 2011
I've heard after USA softball metro championships are over, tournament directors not caring if weak B teams play C tournaments, but never allowing kids to play in lower divisions. In rec we would sometimes let a very weak player play down a year.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
It sounds like bullshit to me. I'm curious, though, were they weak players being allowed to play at their ability level, or were they ringers so the host team could win?

May 27, 2022
A - shouldn't happen, that is why there are levels in each age group
B - Call the tourney director over and ensure that what they are telling you is true
C - Call the state or national organization

someone is lying or taking liberties and needs to be called out on it.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
It's machine pitch. Glorified Batting Practice. If the 10yr old kid was pitching against 7 year olds, I might have a real problem. Other than that, tell the fielders to Back up Terry!!!

May 10, 2021
This was in Michigan right?

Owosso?

I think the tourney directors after being called out made some sort of apology on facebook admitting to the issue. They also committed for refunding all the 8U team monies.

Now apparently this team has been playing 8U with 10 year olds all year....

Oh the drama!! Forfeit the plastic rings and trophies.

Oct 28, 2020

Owosso?

I think the tourney directors after being called out made some sort of apology on facebook admitting to the issue. They also committed for refunding all the 8U team monies.

That's the one! Yep, sounds like the team has been playing with the older girls all year. The big problem I had was that the assistant director told our coach he knew about it, they approved the older girls, and if we didn't like it, we would forfeit our game.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
That's the one! Yep, sounds like the team has been playing with the older girls all year. The big problem I had was that the assistant director told our coach he knew about it, they approved the older girls, and if we didn't like it, we would forfeit our game.
Were they ringers or weak players playing down because they weren't good enough to play at 10U.

Jul 27, 2021
Have any of you heard of a tourney director allowing waivers of kids down into lower age classes? My daughter’s 8u team played a machine pitch tournament today, against the host team. The host team had 2 10-year olds. When challenged by our coach, they didn’t even deny it, instead they argued that it was ok because the tourney director signed a waiver for them. Without getting into the insanity of needing to bring 10-year olds in to play against 7 and 8 year olds, is this allowed anywhere?

Owosso?

Just when you think you heard all the stories. Crazy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802