video of teaching a 5yo to catch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am using a crocheted 12 inch ball, that I had someone make for me. It is slightly weighted with rice. I did not want my GDD to add any audio to this, but I tried 5 times to get her to be quiet - w/o success. We do this about every other day and she still can't catch. She can hit and throw, though.

[video]https://youtu.be/0v6kcNqa8Jk[/video]

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2009
That is completely and totally awesome. Great idea for a ball and I love how she verbalizes not being afraid of the ball. Very cool!

Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
Nice video! I started my youngest at 4. Threw everything to glove side for 2 weeks and then switched to "crossover" for 2 weeks. Once she got those down we went to straight on. (Hardest to catch for young ones IMO) Started with a wiffle ball and then graduated to a 10u ball. By age 5 she could catch everything.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
One thing, with even a beginning 8yo, is that they want to back away. That is why I put GDD in front of the garage door. I try to tell them, "I am throwing to your glove. You are more likely to get hit, by moving."

And I use a larger ball for catching. They can't throw it as well as a smaller ball, though.

Having her field a ground ball, is still difficult.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I also have every piece of safety equipment imaginable, but sometimes we just want to play - w/o taking 10 minutes putting on shin guards, heart guard, and face mask.