Velocity vs accuracy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
That had to hurt...I've bloodied a toe real bad and gotten a bone bruise on my shin. I now wear shinguards but still rock the flip flops. I just olé my feet out of the way on a pitch I can't stop. Not recommended, of course. But I've been thinking about adding a mask...another MPH or 2 and I think I'll have to. It's getting harder and harder to track the ball.
It hurt like an SOB. I wear full gear, cup included. I do wish I bought a mask instead of the Easton helmet because it retains the heat. The funny part is her pitching trainer retired me a few months back because she said it wasn't safe anymore. But, her sister wasn't home to catch for her, and she was going to a tryout the next day, so I donned the gear. Well, I paid the price.

Tracking the ball is tough at her speed, especially now that her pitches move a lot. And, it's even worse indoors. I remember the days of catching her with a baseball 1st baseman's mitt wearing no protection at all. Those days are long gone.

Aug 9, 2021
It hurt like an SOB. I wear full gear, cup included. I do wish I bought a mask instead of the Easton helmet because it retains the heat. The funny part is her pitching trainer retired me a few months back because she said it wasn't safe anymore. But, her sister wasn't home to catch for her, and she was going to a tryout the next day, so I donned the gear. Well, I paid the price.

Tracking the ball is tough at her speed, especially now that her pitches move a lot. And, it's even worse indoors. I remember the days of catching her with a baseball 1st baseman's mitt wearing no protection at all. Those days are long gone.
Glad you posted about the helmet...I was debating which to get. I'm sure I have developed a bad habit of turning my head too so I was thinking helmet, but it gets hot here.

She's jumped about 6MPH over the last year and it's starting to be a problem, especially on movement pitches like you said.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Glad you posted about the helmet...I was debating which to get. I'm sure I have developed a bad habit of turning my head too so I was thinking helmet, but it gets hot here.

She's jumped about 6MPH over the last year and it's starting to be a problem, especially on movement pitches like you said.
I've reached the end of the line, so I went out and bought a nine hole pitcher's pocket from Tanner Tees. This way she can throw when I'm not around. It was nice having a built-in catcher for the last several years, but with the der one away at college, I have do something.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
This was the bottom of my toe about 10 minutes after she hit me.

Attachments

• 20220807_134546.jpg
    20220807_134546.jpg
    602.8 KB · Views: 14
Jan 28, 2017
Years ago my DD was pitching and really young. She threw a pitch into the turf and I was going to swing my legs to the side but my foot got hung on the leg of the chair and it hit me square in the shin. Hurt like crazy and made me feel like a wimp.

Dec 10, 2017
I started wearing crocs to catch years back to protect the toes. With shin guards and a mask it’s enough to prevent most injuries.

But I agree once they throw north of 60 with movement its tough so best to get a catcher or a 9 hole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oct 1, 2014
USA
I wore my steel toe work boots a few times. ;-) Wore my ol' Motocross shin guards a couple times too... I had mono-correction lasik done over 20 years ago and while it was great for some things - following a pitch as DD was getting faster and greater movement was NOT one of them. Eventually, I gave up even trying (for safety sake) and whenever her twin wasn't available to catch her we worked into a net or tarp. The added bonus (or maybe not?) was that I was able to focus more on helping her with mechanics, etc. of the pitch as well as paying attention to my Catcher DD's mechanics and throwdowns.

May 13, 2021
Here are some more numbers from softballpitchingtools.com which is the website for a Rita Gilman’s place in VA. These numbers are all max velocity thrown at the facility. They include college kids all the way down to 1st grade. Including Valerie Cagle from Clemson listed at 76 mph.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021
Here are some more numbers from softballpitchingtools.com which is the website for a Rita Gilman’s place in VA. These numbers are all max velocity thrown at the facility. They include college kids all the way down to 1st grade. Including Valerie Cagle from Clemson listed at 76 mph.

The skeptical side of me wants to put my own pocket radar against the radar they are using and see if there is any difference. Those numbers just seem a little high for some at first glance but I admittedly know nothing about those girls. May just be a collection of several girls that throw hard for their age. I think the general skepticism of some numbers we see is what fuels so many of these discussions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee