Velocity vs accuracy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Seriously lol.....
You not being a wise rear I don't believe it LOL

This is an old topic that gets rehashed over and over it was fun for a while but now I'm going to watch a movie. 🙋‍♀️👍
The only thing I am disputing is your use of your own observations to disagree with statistics compiled over a much broader (and larger) population than you have access to 🤷🏽‍♂️

If your point has nothing to do with that then I will probably agree with it (ok probably is a bit strong..how about maybe?)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The only thing I am disputing is your use of your own observations to disagree with statistics compiled over a much broader (and larger) population than you have access to 🤷🏽‍♂️

If your point has nothing to do with that then I will probably agree with it (ok probably is a bit strong..how about maybe?)
Really think you have truly missed the point of what I have posted throughout.
🥳
There is no need for you to find fault go back and look at what I read.

Beyond what has already been posted~
If there was an accurate list of how many teams and talent levels there are,
might be able to have more defined averages but simply there is so much different Talent level and unknown amount of teams that is hard to Define averages🤷‍♀️
This Thread is a compilation of perspectives, guesstimations and accumulated numbers through observation. It is not solving the world's problems it is a discussion forum. 🥳👍

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2021
My DD that is a 2012 and been in lessons about a year is consistent in the mid 40's. High 40's on good day. She is accurate and knows how to pitch with placement even if a coach isn't calling the pitches. My question is which is better. Placement at 45-47 or slinging it 50? She uses a fastball and change up which is good and mixes in a curveball here and there. Curveball isn't that consistent so it only comes out when she is ahead. My question is at 10 years old which is more important? Velocity or accuracy? She could throw faster I'm sure but with less accuracy. She has really been doing good lately. My question is should I keep pushing accuracy over Velocity? The different pitches are working their way in.
I was going to PM you, but given all the recent "expert" pitching opinions being posted I decided I would reply and put it out for public consumption/criticism instead. I would really like to know what may or may not be wrong with our approach. Some time to still correct, as needed, maybe, but probably not. LOL!

At 10U I would focus on location and learning how to throw different off-speed pitches to see what works and why. But velocity and accuracy are not mutually exclusive, BTW. Meaning you can work both, just do so selectively. We elected not to focus on velocity until DD turned 15 and recently implemented exercises (non-pitching drills) to improve speed. She can select from several pitches depending on what is working that day/week/tournament and isn't limited to a fastball and X.

Frame of reference: DD is 15 and is "above average" for her age for velocity from the recent posts...and that has nothing to do with working velocity. She is tall and strong (someone else mentioned this). But her success on the mound comes from location, change of location, change of speed, and not speed itself. We've heard a lot of people say she is a pitcher not a thrower. Best compliment she can receive in my mind. We do not care where she ends up for college....top 25, P5, D1, D2, D3, NAIA....whatever. Pick a school, see if they have softball, and hope you can play there.

Oh and I think throwing 60+MPH for 8+ years without injury is a challenge/problem for a lot of kids...there I'll open that can of worms. LOL!

May 27, 2013
I had asked earlier in the thread, maybe I missed some replies 🤷‍♀️???
*At what speed does 'velocity' become relevant say for in the college levels, to be considered a pitcher with high velocity.?
Me would say 70+
65/68 are common.

Perhaps in each age bracket there is common mph #'s, so if a pitcher threw above that would be considered a pitcher with velocity
*What numbers mph would those be?
10u
12u
14u
16u
18u

Above is the question you had asked.

Hmmm 🤔 possibly you're not recognizing or not wanting to recognize the point that was made.🤷‍♀️
And/or
This is where you're digging into your own pit of nothing. Because you're avoiding recognizing the point that was a made.

LOL lighten up!!!

I think the point was that a random chart was posted with velocity for specific age groups and there was no source as to where that data was obtained, so it was questioned (as I would hope most people would do and not just trust random data). Then another chart was posted and credited to Raspodo with lower numbers that don’t support the observations of a few.

I am guessing here that when you sign up for Raspodo to be able to access and utilize the data it provides (paid service) it probably gives Raspodo the right to abstract that data and compile it into a large database. I imagine the user inputs certain data (via a player profile) which Raspodo uses to publish their data according to age.

I could be way off base here - the above is just a guess from the little I’m familiar with. Maybe someone with more knowledge about Raspodo can chime in?

Jun 8, 2016
Above is the question you had asked.

I think the point was that a random chart was posted with velocity for specific age groups and there was no source as to where that data was obtained, so it was questioned (as I would hope most people would do and not just trust random data). Then another chart was posted and credited to Raspodo with lower numbers that don’t support the observations of a few.

I am guessing here that when you sign up for Raspodo to be able to access and utilize the data it provides (paid service) it probably gives Raspodo the right to abstract that data and compile it into a large database. I imagine the user inputs certain data (via a player profile) which Raspodo uses to publish their data according to age.

I could be way off base here - the above is just a guess from the little I’m familiar with. Maybe someone with more knowledge about Raspodo can chime in?
I think her point was the average velocity for the top pitchers is higher than the Rapsodo numbers. In other news the average height of an NBA team is higher than the general population and the average IQ of Princeton mathematicians is higher than the DFP average..

May 13, 2021
These were from Legendary Softball camp in Virginia Beach VA, that is posted on there web site. It is supposedly a Mid Atlantic Showcase event. This would give you a pretty good curve for girls in that area. If a girl in this age group was throwing faster than every girl on this list she would by definition be exceptional as compared to girls that attended this camp. This is about 75 girls that at least thought they were good enough to show up at what was called a showcase event that was attended by college coaches, what level I don't know. Do girls in VA just not throw as hard as girls from other places or did only mediocre girls show up to this camp IDK.

These were from 2021
2021 pitchers2.PNG

2021 pitchers.PNG

These were from 2022
2022 Results.PNG2022 Results2.PNG

Attachments

• 2021 pitchers.PNG
    2021 pitchers.PNG
    46.2 KB · Views: 15
May 13, 2021
This is the results from the Pennsburg Classic from 2019. Not sure what level ball this is, but it list the team names so I am sure someone on here will let us know.

2019.PNG2019 2.PNG

Attachments

• 2019.PNG
    2019.PNG
    210.2 KB · Views: 23
May 27, 2013
This is the results from the Pennsburg Classic from 2019. Not sure what level ball this is, but it list the team names so I am sure someone on here will let us know.

View attachment 26485View attachment 26487

So that is from the actual camp held at the Pennsbury Showcase. You don’t have to play in the Showcase to do the camp. It is run by NFCA. The pitchers on that list range from C level teams to true National level teams. That tourney draws teams from all over the country so you will see a handful of top talent teams there, especially top East coast teams.

May 27, 2013
The one thing I’ll add about the Pennsbury camp is usually the pitchers there are 16U age or younger. You don’t see too many HS seniors as most would be committed by that point, so no reason to do the camp. You might see players from 18U teams in the camp but they are the younger players on those teams.

I would also venture to say that the unicorns that throw 65+ are not going to these types of camps because they don’t need to. I’m sure most of the college coaches have heard about them already and have them attend their camps on campus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad