Value added to the team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If parents are questioning the batting order I would ask them if their DD is taking batting lessons from an instructor once a week. How many times a week is their DD hitting off a tee? How many times a week is the parent taking their DD to a cage and throwing front toss? If their answer to these questions does not add up to 3 times a week or more, tell them to come back after they put in the work outside of regular practices...

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
If parents are questioning the batting order I would ask them if their DD is taking batting lessons from an instructor once a week. How many times a week is their DD hitting off a tee? How many times a week is the parent taking their DD to a cage and throwing front toss? If their answer to these questions does not add up to 3 times a week or more, tell them to come back after they put in the work outside of regular practices...

While I agree with this in premise - don't complain about what you get until you are working hard to improve - this opens up the door for further conversation/complaining.

Some teams just have STUDS who hit well but don't practice 3 days a week, are you going to hit her last even if she tops the list in OBP, OPS, or your stat(s) of choice? Some other kids start out way behind (maybe its her 2nd year of softball and everyone else has played 6) and even practicing 4 days per week they are in the bottom third of the team hitting wise, are you promising this kid a top of the line up spot based on the days per week she practices? On my team the answer is no, effort will be a difference maker in close decisions but lineup is mostly performance based.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
While I agree with this in premise - don't complain about what you get until you are working hard to improve - this opens up the door for further conversation/complaining.

Some teams just have STUDS who hit well but don't practice 3 days a week, are you going to hit her last even if she tops the list in OBP, OPS, or your stat(s) of choice? Some other kids start out way behind (maybe its her 2nd year of softball and everyone else has played 6) and even practicing 4 days per week they are in the bottom third of the team hitting wise, are you promising this kid a top of the line up spot based on the days per week she practices? On my team the answer is no, effort will be a difference maker in close decisions but lineup is mostly performance based.

I am 98.2% sure that the parents of the players who are STUDS are not questioning the coach about where their DD is hitting in the batting order....

Mar 1, 2015
I am 98.2% sure that the parents of the players who are STUDS are not questioning the coach about where their DD is hitting in the batting order....

But the 1.8% window you just left open...I'm sure 98.2% of the parents feel like they fit into that window....:D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13