Value added to the team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2012
Ok I'll try explaining/asking this the best I can. This is concerning the use of stats for a teams players. Assume all 9 defense bat also. Is there a matrix that would take their batting stats- avg, obp, slgg %, rbi or other assigned stats and then combine them with their defensive stats- E's, po, atempts etc and combine both the offense and defense of their game for a value to compare to another player on the team. Example, ss probably has more defense opportunities than say right field but has low ba. Rf has slightly higher ba fewer defensive opportunities but a very high obp. Is there a way to apply the value of that player to the team compared to the ss. I wouldn't even know how to begin adding a pitcher into the mix. Yes this comes from Scholls ball and how they choose the various all xxxxxxx team.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Ok I'll try explaining/asking this the best I can. This is concerning the use of stats for a teams players. Assume all 9 defense bat also. Is there a matrix that would take their batting stats- avg, obp, slgg %, rbi or other assigned stats and then combine them with their defensive stats- E's, po, atempts etc and combine both the offense and defense of their game for a value to compare to another player on the team. Example, ss probably has more defense opportunities than say right field but has low ba. Rf has slightly higher ba fewer defensive opportunities but a very high obp. Is there a way to apply the value of that player to the team compared to the ss. I wouldn't even know how to begin adding a pitcher into the mix. Yes this comes from Scholls ball and how they choose the various all xxxxxxx team.

Won't work, IMO.

It's hard enough to assign value to offense, but OBA, OPS, etc. put you in the ballpark. (Can't use RBI or even runs. It's too dependent on place in the batting order, IMO).

There's no hope for fielding. There's no way I can look at the traditional fielding stats on a TB team and figure out much of anything except some fair guesses about who plays what position.

There have been some defensive measurements done in MLB baseball that are intriguing, but there you've got 30 teams playing against each other and loads of stats and ways of comparing players and stats across the league. You know the league averages at each position for errors, assists, putouts, so you can compare. Without all that info, you can't do it.

May 13, 2012
Thanks CB. I tend to agree. I just wondered. I realize sometimes or even a lot of the time there isn't a Stat to measure value. Expl. players just play better when x is pitching and y is at SS. While x and y don't have numbers any better than others they are just born leaders and bring out the best in others. It was a thought and I agree about comparing across a league with out having other teams stats etc. And I know while Tina is batting .230 it jumps to .350 with RISP is misleading if only one Stat not both are looked at. And that value can be good or bad depending on who is looking and what they think is valuable with no right or wrong. Even if just for my coaching so I would like a better way to break the "tie" between 2 players when I'm looking at putting together a line up. I know sometimes I just thinking is she the best choice, lesser of two evils, and no hard facts to base a decesion on.

I guess I'm looking at it like the movie Money Ball but don't the amount of information they do.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
Really what you are talking about is a WAR or Wins Above Replacement there are several different ways (some include defensive stats) it can be calculated but obviously with computers even though complicated are easy if you have that statistics the problem is really sample size; this stat really becomes more meaningful over a long period of time with a large pool of players and also players that stays in the same position most of the time.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2013
One thing that isn't measured in stats is clutch/pressure situations, and level of competition. We all know that player who goes 8-for-8 in pool games that don't matter when teams are throwing their #3 or worse pitchers, and then 0-8 in the bracket games when they see #1 and #2 pitchers. But if you look at the stats, they went 8-for-16 that weekend and are hitting .500. Same goes for someone who hits 2 HRs in a game that you are winning 10-0, but then strikes out in the game you lost by a run with bases loaded and one out in the last inning where a ball in play scores the tying run. Last year our best hitter probably hit around .550 or .600, and did so against all levels, pool, bracket, #1 pitcher or #5 pitcher -- didn't matter, she produced. Our next best hitter, stat wise, can't hit her way out of a wet paper bag against the better teams and pitchers.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
One thing that isn't measured in stats is clutch/pressure situations, and level of competition. We all know that player who goes 8-for-8 in pool games that don't matter when teams are throwing their #3 or worse pitchers, and then 0-8 in the bracket games when they see #1 and #2 pitchers. But if you look at the stats, they went 8-for-16 that weekend and are hitting .500. Same goes for someone who hits 2 HRs in a game that you are winning 10-0, but then strikes out in the game you lost by a run with bases loaded and one out in the last inning where a ball in play scores the tying run. Last year our best hitter probably hit around .550 or .600, and did so against all levels, pool, bracket, #1 pitcher or #5 pitcher -- didn't matter, she produced. Our next best hitter, stat wise, can't hit her way out of a wet paper bag against the better teams and pitchers.

I do agree that those differences in hitters may exist. I also think it takes a lot of games and at-bats before we can establish that clutch hitting and differences vs. good/bad pitchers aren't just random. Even in MLB, there's a school of thought that clutch hitting is a largely a myth. Of course, in MLB, those are the best hitters in the world, and differences between two professional elite hitters in the clutch is liable to be minimal compared to a any given pair of 14-year-old amateurs.

Jun 11, 2013
Let me get this straight. You have parents that probably don't understand the D3K rule or the Infield fly rule, who call runs points and the umps refs, but you'll come up with a formula with 15 variables to determine the players value? I'm sure the'll look at it see why Sally is batting 8th and sit down happy:)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13