Valerie Cagle Drop

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
With drop balls, the question is, "How much IR does a pitcher use when throwing the pitch?"

A "pure" peel drop would use no IR. Since all high level pitchers use IR, you won't find any pitcher throwing a "pure" peel drop.

With Cagle throws a drop ball, she pulls the ball around the circle, just like any other pitch. Her hand finishes with her palm toward 1st base. So, she is using some IR of the forearm for the pitch. I would say she is probably using 25% IR with this pitch.

Kind of a quibble, but Cagle's drop balls are too low in the zone. She is throwing 70+ mph., so it doesn't matter much.

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
It's a peel drop. Sluggers has his own opinion on this but if you start with a 4 seam grip and you get 4 seam rotation how can it be anything other than a 'peel' drop?

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
When I hear/read "peel drop" I think of these videos on YouTube. So I don't like to use it when describing drop-ball mechanics. I know, it's old but still.... I'm assuming the term is still used for lack of better when trying to describe how the ball comes off the fingers. Or to differentiate from a turn-over.

DD's PC uses the term "firing with the fingers", which is what I've come to use when talking to other pitchers/parents and working with DD at home.

1646691998794.png

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It's a peel drop. Sluggers has his own opinion on this but if you start with a 4 seam grip and you get 4 seam rotation how can it be anything other than a 'peel' drop?

Huh? How does grip determine the pitch? Are you saying if she used the exact same mechanics but used a 2 seam grip it would be something else?

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
When I hear/read "peel drop" I think of these videos on YouTube. So I don't like to use it when describing drop-ball mechanics. I know, it's old but still.... I'm assuming the term is still used for lack of better when trying to describe how the ball comes off the fingers. Or to differentiate from a turn-over.

DD's PC uses the term "firing with the fingers", which is what I've come to use when talking to other pitchers/parents and working with DD at home.

View attachment 25130

Worst video on throwing a drop ball ever...

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Worst video on throwing a drop ball ever...

Right. But that’s what pops up into my head when I hear “peel drop”. Hillhouse in a video demonstrates the same motion when describing a peel (among other variations).

The video is pretty bad. But is one of the first results when searching peel drop. So that’s a bummer.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812