uuuugghhhhhh

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
shutting DD down indefinitely. Sciatic/back/hip pain. has had minor issues with this on and off for a while, chiropractor and stretching extra seemed to help. few weeks ago, paying HS field hockey, jumped to avoid a ball hit in air towards her legs (if it hits her it is a foul on her), landed awkwardly. rest, team trainer, chiro, seemed to be getting better resumed pay, aggravated it, rinse repeat, played a WE tournament with her SB team, batting aggravated it a lot (interestingly, catching really did not).

last night at FH game, got a lot worse, got X rays, heading to ortho reccomended by school trainer next week.

hate this for her, freshman year. at this point just hoping she can be good to go for winter swim season, field hockey for her is pretty much over (she played freshman and JV, no varsity, no playoffs).

Jun 20, 2015
Hope it heals soon. I have limited knowledge of field hockey, but from what I've seen, that bent over, twisting action surely isn't for everyone.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
shutting DD down indefinitely. Sciatic/back/hip pain. has had minor issues with this on and off for a while, chiropractor and stretching extra seemed to help. few weeks ago, paying HS field hockey, jumped to avoid a ball hit in air towards her legs (if it hits her it is a foul on her), landed awkwardly. rest, team trainer, chiro, seemed to be getting better resumed pay, aggravated it, rinse repeat, played a WE tournament with her SB team, batting aggravated it a lot (interestingly, catching really did not).

last night at FH game, got a lot worse, got X rays, heading to ortho reccomended by school trainer next week.

hate this for her, freshman year. at this point just hoping she can be good to go for winter swim season, field hockey for her is pretty much over (she played freshman and JV, no varsity, no playoffs).
get well

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Is Airrosti available in your area? I used a guy for my back. Almost instant relief and no pain for almost 2 years. I had DD use him will experiences low back pain. 3 sessions and hasn't complained about ANY pain or discomfort for 1.5 years.

May 12, 2016
Always wonder why the stick is so short. Safety? 41 inch max.
Have never played field hockey, wondered this as well. I know playing ice hockey I always preferred a longer stick, better reach, more leverage and helped me keep my head up which was much safer because back in the day you tried to catch another player with their head down.

May 6, 2015
Have never played field hockey, wondered this as well. I know playing ice hockey I always preferred a longer stick, better reach, more leverage and helped me keep my head up which was much safer because back in the day you tried to catch another player with their head down.

field hockey very different from ice hockey

-cannot use curved side of the stick (FH players get adept and twisting the stick in their hands in order to "backhand" the ball)
-no contact/checking (when properly officiated)
-ball cannot contact anything but the stick, even if unintentional (other than GK). below the knee is a foul on player who the ball hit, above the knee foul is on player whose stick last touched it. deliberately hitting your opponents feet is a strategy to get fouls/penalty corners.
-lift the ball above knees with someone near path of ball, unless it is a shot on goal, it is a foul (other team gets possession). but if a ball is lifted, it is legal to play it in the air (no high sticking), but if sent into a crowd this way, most umpires will blow it dead in the air.
-supposed to be really about moving feet, in fact you cannot even use body to get in someone's way, screen, etc. unless you have the ball on your stick.
-cannot hack at someone else's stick, only the ball, cannot use stick (or body) to impede other players. stick length limit is probably deliberately to impede reaching. need to move the feet.
-GK cannot trap, cover, etc. the ball (no gloves, just a flat blocker on non stick hand, and a cylindrical guard to go around stick and hand on stick hand)
-no offsides, but ball must touch a stick inside the 18 yard circle in order to count as a goal (no long empty net goals)
-internationally, mens FH is bigger than womens. basically became a womens fall sport in the US to balance football in scholastic settings (I think this is same reason womens VB is so big scholastically in US but mens not so much, to balance out wrestling). and FH in the US is regional below the collegiate level (and even someone collegiately), nor really played in HS below NC or west of KY/OH. not certain what other regions do to balance football title IX wise.

interesting example, defender tries to stop player with ball, ball goes between defenders legs, defender cannot simply turn around counterclockwise (to put her stick in forehand position to play ball), that is obstruction (using the body to ward off another player from the ball), they have to step out of way or turn the other way and try to get "around" the ball before making a play. if they do not get out of way, or simply turn around, and offensive player trucks them, foul is on defense. girls get taught when on offense in that situation to at least initiate some type of contact to get call (often dont get call without it, where does that sound familiar ;))

6 years ago I knew nothing about FH other than a week long unit in MS PE. officiating was a total mystery at first (one colleague who also had girls play FH joked it was "whistle ball"). now DD1 is getting offers to be a GK in college (DD2 is the one hurt, she is only playing FH to do something with DD1 in their one year of HS together). and these girls are as tough as any athlete, male or female, DD1 has had some thigh bruises last months before we convinced her to upgrade her girdle (just called that, basically padded FH goalie shorts). guaranteed I have spent more time last few years watching FH or softball than football, soccer, ice hockey, baseball, basketball combined. wouldn't trade a single minute of it.

May 12, 2016
field hockey very different from ice hockey

-cannot use curved side of the stick (FH players get adept and twisting the stick in their hands in order to "backhand" the ball)
-no contact/checking (when properly officiated)
-ball cannot contact anything but the stick, even if unintentional (other than GK). below the knee is a foul on player who the ball hit, above the knee foul is on player whose stick last touched it. deliberately hitting your opponents feet is a strategy to get fouls/penalty corners.
-lift the ball above knees with someone near path of ball, unless it is a shot on goal, it is a foul (other team gets possession). but if a ball is lifted, it is legal to play it in the air (no high sticking), but if sent into a crowd this way, most umpires will blow it dead in the air.
-supposed to be really about moving feet, in fact you cannot even use body to get in someone's way, screen, etc. unless you have the ball on your stick.
-cannot hack at someone else's stick, only the ball, cannot use stick (or body) to impede other players. stick length limit is probably deliberately to impede reaching. need to move the feet.
-GK cannot trap, cover, etc. the ball (no gloves, just a flat blocker on non stick hand, and a cylindrical guard to go around stick and hand on stick hand)
-no offsides, but ball must touch a stick inside the 18 yard circle in order to count as a goal (no long empty net goals)
-internationally, mens FH is bigger than womens. basically became a womens fall sport in the US to balance football in scholastic settings (I think this is same reason womens VB is so big scholastically in US but mens not so much, to balance out wrestling). and FH in the US is regional below the collegiate level (and even someone collegiately), nor really played in HS below NC or west of KY/OH. not certain what other regions do to balance football title IX wise.

interesting example, defender tries to stop player with ball, ball goes between defenders legs, defender cannot simply turn around counterclockwise (to put her stick in forehand position to play ball), that is obstruction (using the body to ward off another player from the ball), they have to step out of way or turn the other way and try to get "around" the ball before making a play. if they do not get out of way, or simply turn around, and offensive player trucks them, foul is on defense. girls get taught when on offense in that situation to at least initiate some type of contact to get call (often dont get call without it, where does that sound familiar ;))

6 years ago I knew nothing about FH other than a week long unit in MS PE. officiating was a total mystery at first (one colleague who also had girls play FH joked it was "whistle ball"). now DD1 is getting offers to be a GK in college (DD2 is the one hurt, she is only playing FH to do something with DD1 in their one year of HS together). and these girls are as tough as any athlete, male or female, DD1 has had some thigh bruises last months before we convinced her to upgrade her girdle (just called that, basically padded FH goalie shorts). guaranteed I have spent more time last few years watching FH or softball than football, soccer, ice hockey, baseball, basketball combined. wouldn't trade a single minute of it.
I know it's much different .. LOL

May 6, 2015
good news, saw ortho today. SI joint inflammation, no disc issues (this was main main concern, having had several herniated discs in my lifetime, and two epidural injections to allevaite them).

Prescription is basically some Rx strength naproxen (ie whether it hurts or not) for 10 days, and PT (2x week at a rehab facility, 3x a week with the schools trainer, who they say is very good), getting join aligned properly and building muscle to hold it that way and move properly. Activity as it can be tolerated, doc said there should be no long term impact.

luckily we have a good PT/rehab facility just a couple of minutes from the house :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802