Utility Player?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I wish there were a better term than "utility player". It's a leftover baseball term for someone that isn't good enough to play every day. Many kids can play plenty of different positions. They should be valued. Why does that player become a 2nd class citizen when they don't want to lock themselves in to just one place on the field? I hate the questionnaires that only allow for one or maybe two choices. In the last year, DD1 has played every spot on the field except catcher and 2B.

We need a better way to describe a versatile, athletic player.
Agree with this.

My "utility player" is my second best shortstop (the best SS is also #1 pitcher), a good 2B, a very good outfielder, and the #2 catcher. She's also likely going to be my leadoff hitter next year (this is her first year batting lefty, so hitting is still a work in progress).

Maybe instead of utility player I should call her a Swiss Army knife.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This is really helpful, thank you. Her best position is catcher but that has limited her on her current team. She is the second catcher which means she plays one pool play game and never in bracket games, even if that means the first catcher plays 5 games in a row in 100 degree heat.
I don't know what is going on...but your current coach is in Lala Land. Find another team.

Coaches are always looking for a catcher. If your DD is a good catcher and can hit, she will find a team in less than 2 seconds. She should tell the prospective coach, "She is a catcher, but she'll play anywhere."

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
DD's career is now over. She did play three years for her college but was derailed by a shoulder injury. Entering her senior year she decided to focus her time on an internship rather than softball. Ultimately she was on the roster as a pitcher, but also had some time at 1b.

Although I am no longer personally involved in softball, I still frequent this site because of some friendships that have developed over the years. There are several posters still around that I root for. It's nice to see their DD's have success.
Sorry to hear of her shoulder injury.
Can understand focus on internship.
Nice to see she was able to get in the circle probably had many years work Ethic to get there!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee