USSSA Select 30 - Worth It?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 1, 2022
My second year 14U DD just got an invite to January's Select 30 Training Camp. Before paying for the camp, airfare, etc. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it and whether it was worth it? Any info would be much appreciated.

Oct 10, 2018
I have no experience with this event but from what I can see I wouldn't go. No college coaches (not that they'd even look over their shoulder at the 14U field), gathering of metric information?, maybe some drills? Unclear.

Want to do it for kicks and a trip to FL in Jan? Go for it but I wouldn't expect to get anything out of it.

I've had friends go to a Softball Factory camp in FL and found it really good. You get metrics and video as well as 4 games and drills. If you can take an extra day, it's close to Disney.

Aug 5, 2022
Definitely not worth airfare…if it happened to be near where you lived sure but beyond that nope. Very few top players play usssa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 20, 2016
My opinion is it's not worth it if you have to travel there. Most of those things are money grabs. DD had a girl on her team do it and they ranked her in the top 20 of the age category. She wasn't even in the top 10 on the team she plays with. Saw another one from the org my DD plays in with the same thing, and she was not in the top 8 of her team.

Oct 4, 2018
Yeah, we have the opportunity to go as well. Probably passing. I think the event is $400, then you have to pay each day to watch (as the parent), pay for transportation and air fare, etc. All just to get a few reps and have a few games.

I know my DD would love it, and would have fun. But it just seems like a money-grab for potentially luke-warm instruction.

We're doing a Georgia Tech 1-day camp in a few weeks. I hope that satisfies her.

Aug 5, 2022
You speaking from experience?

We never went personally but know lots and lots of kids that got sucked in. We were fortunate to have folks stear us clear but I’ve certainly wasted my share of money over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 28, 2017
Live in FL and never thought it was worth it but have a good friend that his DD loved it. She is an elite athlete. Still wouldn't do air.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
We went and had a blast! There were some awesome players there from around the country and overall the level of play was pretty strong. If you go there thinking it's a skill development/recruiting camp then you'll be disappointed (although I know that at least 2 kids got serious convo/offers from LSU that year). Looking back on it now (it was 5 years ago) and considering the time and money spent on other meaningless tourneys...I'd glady take that trip to Baton Rouge again Pretty sure DD feels the same..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45